VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-06-2018, 04:42 PM

Default LED Position Lights

I was walking through the exhibit barns at AirVenture and several lighting exhibits got me to thinking about replacement position light bulbs.

I have the standard old Whelen A650 position/strobe light setup on my RV in the wing tip. I’m not yet interested in changing out completely to an LED position/strobe setup due to cost BUT I am thinking about changing the position light bulbs out from incandescent to LED.

Has anyone done this? If so what LED bulb did you use? Where did you source them? Were the replacement LED bulbs as bright and did you see any reduction in amperage draw?

I've already changed my wingtip landing lights to Whelen 71685 LED lights and really love the brightness of these lights over the old 50w halogen lights. The amperage draw for these lights was significantly less than the halogen lights.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Default Pilot lights set of 3 $50

https://www.pilotlights.net/led-navi...2-bay15s-ba15s

Like. 1/3 the draw.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM

4 years ago I bought LED replacement bulbs at S-n-F. Still shining thousands hours later I will dig the vendor info Jim. I hope they are still in business. Long lasting bulbs. Before that I went through several sets of expensive Whelen types.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Looks like the same as these bulbs https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...umens/2799/://

I would think that you would want to put a cool white bulb below the colored lenses and not the green and red that is sold with the kit listed above. And then you will need to verify that the lights meet the regulations. If you ask Whelen they do not.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:59 AM

I tried the PSA original "navstrobes". The were a white shade, not colored.
Under the Grimes colored hemis-
Red was orangeish
Green was blueish
No way they were "right".
They needed the biggest ferrite choke/clamps to muffle their RFI.

The above ones I posted that are colored lamps, under colored Grimes globes look dandy. YMMV, but they look just like the jets at work.

Why would any OEM tell you what works at 10% price and 5 minute install?

If you like paying the big bucks, don't google, "MSTRB red 360 degree". $40 for an anticollision light will really upset you.

Last edited by moosepileit : 08-07-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 PM

I bought the strobing nav lights. Turn them one once, they light up. Recycle the switch and the strobe colors.

I love them. They work really well. Bright, low draw, increase visibility.

All my exterior lights ate now LED. Love them.

Tinker
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 08-07-2018, 01:26 PM

I talked to the Pilotlights people at Oshkosh. Their lights are meant to be used with the stock Whelen red and green lenses. The color is then correct. For those of us that have the Whelen A600 (Nav-Strobe-Tail) on each wingtip, they are working on a tail light lamp to fit those.
Manager - Panel Design, SteinAir, Inc.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...
Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Ordered

I called the people at Pilotlights.net and talked to them about their LED replacement bulbs. They recommended using their colored LED lights under the Whelen colored lens covers. Said the brightness increase would be “dramatic.” It’s worth a chance and the price was $39 plus shipping.

Will give a pirep once received and installed.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Spruce sells one of the whelen replacement bulbs for $49.75. I wonder if I can swap my my never used overpriced bulbs for LED replacements.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Pilot View Post
Spruce sells one of the whelen replacement bulbs for $49.75. I wonder if I can swap my my never used overpriced bulbs for LED replacements.
The bulbs I purchased from Pilotlights.net clearly state theirs are for “experimental use only.” However they are supposed to exceed the brightness of the Whelen bulbs and have a significantly longer service life (50,000 hours) with less amperage draw. Whelen clearly does not recommend these bulbs because their not STC’d and takes a STC’d system like theirs into the experimental arena.

A lot of experimental items are improvements over certified systems so I’m going to give these bulbs a try. As I said earlier, a pirep update will be provided after I install them and have used them a bit.