What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Image Hosting at Halie.com

Easy from iPhone. great to be able to do that to snap picture and get it posted

ohg.jpg

ohh.jpg

ohO.jpg

oh3.jpg

oh4.jpg

Great little application/website

Last edited:
Can temp pics be changed to permanent pics ?

I 'halied' 10 pics and realize I should have made them permanent for a while at least rather than temporary. In a VAF post re the modification of the snorkel for attachment to the AFP FM-200.

Is there a way that I can reassign those as permanent or do I need to re-'halie' them and re-insert those into the VAF post?

Just getting the link address to show, not the image.

Removing the first part to see if it works.

halie.com/oQ5.jpg

Al "Bungalow" Brownlow
RV14 - N613LA Reserved
At the Hideout
"If we're not having fun, we're not doing it right"

Halie rotating photos 90degrees

First, Thanks So Much for creating this site. It is fast and easy and SOOO much better than photo bucket. The last couple photos I loaded appeared rotated. When I clicked on the image in Halie, they showed on the screen _not_ rotated, but then when loading to VAF, they were rotated again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Capt. Sandy

A cautionary note for people using Halie.com: It has become geofenced in some areas due to abuse, which means a number of photos here have "disappeared." Over time, as more people (outside of VAF) find Halie.com, abuse will likely spread to other areas that will end up geofenced as well. I understand the photos are still there, but my area can no longer access halie.com so I can't see them anymore... It used to work just fine.

For maintaining long term value for the maximum number of users here on VAF, users may want to start looking for another solution now rather than later.

I've reverted to Flickr (now owned by SmugMug) in the last year or so after Photobucket pulled that brilliant move.

Been on there since 2011. 1 TB free- so far anyway.

A cautionary note for people using Halie.com: It has become geofenced in some areas due to abuse, which means a number of photos here have "disappeared." Over time, as more people (outside of VAF) find Halie.com, abuse will likely spread to other areas that will end up geofenced as well. I understand the photos are still there, but my area can no longer access halie.com so I can't see them anymore... It used to work just fine.

For maintaining long term value for the maximum number of users here on VAF, users may want to start looking for another solution now rather than later.

So here we go again? Halie promising to host our images indefinitely and then having to take measures that disrupt their availability. Don't take that the wrong way. I applaud Halie's benevolence in providing this for us. But perhaps it truly is too good to be true. The very fact that halie is a side show pet project may portend poor support and weak security. I have become leery of photo hosting services ever since Photobucket went buck wild and I lost hundreds of photos and years of technical posting forum links going wonky overnight. To the point I was discouraged from participating and abandoning a handful of specialty forums (i.e. Flyhusky.com, Luscombe List, Tundra Forums, etc). Like the jilted lover I became suspect of any and all photo hosting services that came calling. In fact I see more than half the postings in this very thread have gone "bad link". That's an unforgivable and tragic thing. But I am open to a reasonable explanation of what is going on....

Jim

Last edited:
images

Best solution: Doug should upgrade to the latest version of vbulletin, and start hosting images for all users. [ed. Doug's Law for the win!!!! v/r,dr ;^)]. That would solve this problem. If the cost is really high to store images, make that a feature that we would have to pay for. I'd rather pay extra money to Doug to store images than to a 3rd party.

2nd best solution: Pay someone like bluehost to give you a wordpress site, and then you have a blog, and a place to store images. A bit more work, but gives you more features than just an image hosting service. You can also go to wordpress.com and get a free site - not sure how many images you get there, but you also get a blog.

3rd best for nerds: get a server somewhere in the cloud or in your basement if you get a static IP and host them there, but get ready to waste a lot of time managing it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Best solution: Doug should upgrade to the latest version of vbulletin, and start hosting images for all users. That would solve this problem. If the cost is really high to store images, make that a feature that we would have to pay for. I'd rather pay extra money to Doug to store images than to a 3rd party.

2nd best solution: Pay someone like bluehost to give you a wordpress site, and then you have a blog, and a place to store images. A bit more work, but gives you more features than just an image hosting service. You can also go to wordpress.com and get a free site - not sure how many images you get there, but you also get a blog.

3rd best for nerds: get a server somewhere in the cloud or in your basement if you get a static IP and host them there, but get ready to waste a lot of time managing it! :)

I REALLY wish this site would be upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin. This version is over a decade old. The newer versions handle photos WAY better.

[ed. http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm for why I don't host photos. If anyone would like to start their own photo hosting site, please do!!! I certainly don't want to. The space requirements and complexity of image/video/360 panos/VR/podcasts/etc is growing exponentially - I don't need that burden to add to my current workload. Again, if you would like to take on the task, I'm your biggest fan!!! As this thread demonstrates, image hosting can be a challenge. Upgrading vBulletin won't change that.

Please give the link a read - the problems and scales are more difficult than you might imagine. There is nothing simple about it. v/r,dr]

So here we go again? Halie promising to host our images indefinitely and then having to take measures that disrupt their availability. Don't take that the wrong way. I applaud Halie's benevolence in providing this for us. But perhaps it truly is too good to be true. The very fact that halie is a side show pet project may portend poor support and weak security.

No promises and there is no support and no security. Like I've said, it's is my and a few buddies personal forum image hosting site.

You are free to use it and you'll get what you pay for -- or your money back! Guaranteed.

Due to an unbelievable amount of the worst kind of abuse, it's now available only in the US.

I'm not sure why Doug doesn't want to upgrade to a modern platform. The longer he waits, the harder it's going to be and the risk of not being able to move the databases forward easily increases. It would be trivial to use Amazon AWS to host the site plus images and it wouldn't be expensive, likely less than he's paying now with image hosting. Many of us have offered to help. He must have good reasons, but he's under no obligation to upgrade anything or even discuss it with us, it's his private property.

Last edited:
Due to an unbelievable amount of the worst kind of abuse, it's now available only in the US.
Oddly enough, it works from my office in Victoria, but not my house in Sidney. Both in BC, Canada. I guess the geofencing isn't perfect... :)

I REALLY wish this site would be upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin. This version is over a decade old. The newer versions handle photos WAY better.

[ed. http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm for why I don't host photos. If anyone would like to start their own photo hosting site, please do!!! I certainly don't want to. The space requirements and complexity of image/video/360 panos/VR/podcasts/etc is growing exponentially - I don't need that burden to add to my current workload. Again, if you would like to take on the task, I'm your biggest fan!!! As this thread demonstrates, image hosting can be a challenge. Upgrading vBulletin won't change that.

Please give the link a read - the problems and scales are more difficult than you might imagine. There is nothing simple about it. v/r,dr]

I was referring to how much better the newer versions of vBulletin handle embedding images from URL's. Not in hosting the images internally. In this old version we are using the image URL tags are cumbersome, don't handle scaling very well, and as we have seen time and time again, can be confusing for many users of the forums.

The newer versions (heck even the version thats going on 5 years old now) makes embedding linked images super easy. No need to worry about hosting the images themselves, as just about every image hosting service out there works with how vBulleting embeds.

I run several vBulletin sites on my co-located servers. In more modern versions of vBulletin, a user can simply drag and drop an image from services like Flickr, Imgur, Google Photos, etc into a vBulletin post and it will create the BB code to link and scale the image correctly automatically, in true WYSIWYG fashion. The image is hosted with whatever service the user prefers (eg Google, Imgur, Flickr, Facebook, etc), and vBulletin simply builds the href for the photo. Nothing is hosted on the actual vBulletin site as far as the photos are concerned.

Not to mention, markdown and even ASCIDoc is also supported in newer versions. I'm a huge fan of markdown. [ed. Thank you for the clarification, Lynn. v/r,dr]

While on the subject...a test, please.

If you can't see the photos in this thread, let me know:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931

Works great here Dan. Glad to see your photos are coming back! I had a bunch of your threads bookmarked for future reading to take advantage of the knowledge you shared when I got to that point in my build (Im still a good ways away...STILL).

Good to see you got them on your own domain :) Thats about the best way to assure your photos never disappear. I do the same with my www.theskunkwerx.com domain/server.

I've updated all the fiberglass threads with high view counts, and I'll get others done as time permits.

If someone is dying to see the photos restored in a particular thread, just send an email.

If someone is dying to see the photos restored in a particular thread, just send an email.

Any thread that had picasa/etc. images linked.
Any thread that has halie images linked.

I'd love to go back and update any posts i've made with links to the photos moved to a new site. Unfortunately there's no way to search for them.

Folks should learn how to use a photo editor and simply reduce images to no more than 800 pixels wide for VAF so they don't cause annoying page overflows.

Folks should learn how to use a photo editor and simply reduce images to no more than 800 pixels wide for VAF so they don't cause annoying page overflows.
I think i've posted this before in other photo threads, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, this image resizer has to be the easiest way for a user to resize before uploading: https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

That said, resizing is something that can be done trivially on the server where the images are hosted... It could happen at time of upload, anything that comes in gets resized to 800 or 1000 pixels wide and no more than 100kB each.

I think i've posted this before in other photo threads, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, this image resizer has to be the easiest way for a user to resize before uploading: https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

That said, resizing is something that can be done trivially on the server where the images are hosted... It could happen at time of upload, anything that comes in gets resized to 800 or 1000 pixels wide and no more than 100kB each.

Thats exactly what the newer versions of vBulletin do. You can scale and resize images directly in the post while you are making it, and it converts all the photo size, location in the post, anchors and URL/href into the proper BB code when you hit "Submit".

This version we are on was released over a decade ago, which is a millennia ago in software. I don't even think vBulletin is still offering support and/or patches for vulnerabilities for it.

This version we are on was released over a decade ago, which is a millennia ago in software. I don't even think vBulletin is still offering support and/or patches for vulnerabilities for it.

Anyone want to take bets whether Doug might be more inclined to spend money on things like software upgrades, if a bit more than the small percentage of users that actually do, contributed each year?

Anyone want to take bets whether Doug might be more inclined to spend money on things like software upgrades, if a bit more than the small percentage of users that actually do, contributed each year?

I've been contributing for quite a while now, yearly. I would like to see some sort of yearly subscription model that allowed some very basic things....like more than 50 messages in your inbox :)

Tried to access halie.com this morning and could not connect via two different web platforms, simply no connection. Has 'halie.com' been shut down?

Back