What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions about a small riveting project

Saville

Well Known Member
Hello,

I have a small riveting project I need to do and I'm looking for a little advice.

The Project:

I have to assemble a new battery tray for the Odyssey battery I'd like to install. I don't want to mess up the old tray so I bought a new tray from Van's along with the angle Van's sells to keep the battery from sliding side to side. Here's a picture:

So you can see the riveting job I have to do. I'll check the plans for the size rivets I need, and I'll get those.

I'll also get a pair of cleco pliers and a few of the correct size clecos.

Where I need advice is this:

I don't expect to get into lots of riveting in the future so I don't want to buy a compressor and rivet gun and associated paraphernalia. Any other riveting I do will be very small jobs like this.

As you can see, the riveting is not too far from the edge so I don't really need a deep throat/long reach device.

What riveting tool do you recommend to set solid rivets in small tasks like this one?

Is a squeezer the right tool for these sorts of jobs?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Proabably a squeezer will do nicely. And perhaps there's a builder in your area who might be willing to help you with this, and who already has tools.

Dave

you can get a small compressor from HOrror Fright that will drive a rivet gun probably for $50 and then you can use it to pump up tires, blow leaves out of your eaves trough etc. Then borrow a rivet gun. They don't require a huge compressor. Or you can buy a C frame, or a squeezer, but with dies those will cost close to $200 or more.

Raymond Brunet just built a -9A and flys out of Beverly. I'm sure he has all of the tools and rivets you'll need.

I don't have a big compressor at home but occasionally need to run an air tool so I hooked my little Campbell Hausfeld compressor up to a portable air tank with a few fittings from HF. One line from compressor to tank, another from tank to tool.

Should be more than adequate for that little job if you are unable to use a squeezer on all the rivets.

Come on up to ASH...

...and you're welcome to use my riveting tools - compressor, squeezer, guns, etc.

PM me and I'll send you my contact info.

Dave

Back