What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel selector valve screws

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Van's says to secure the screws holding the ports to the fuel valve in accordance with the suppliers instructions although Andairs instructions did not have anything specific. Do I need to loctite the screw threads or should I just put them in dry?

Additionally what are people using for thread sealant on the fuel system. I have Permatex aviation form a gasket #3 that I think would work well but want to be careful with the fuel system.

Thanks

Last edited:
The valve should have come with instructions to stake each screw after installation. It will appear as a small depression at the edge of each screw if already done.

If I recall correctly one port needs to be secured after orientation. There are supposed to be instructions from Andair. If you do not have them perhaps someone can provide them for you. I probably still have mine somewhere but not techie enough to provide them on here.

I have the instructions but the only thing they instructed on is how to remove the selector lever.

There is no depression on the screws. I looked up staking and I want to make sure I have this right. I see a small hole near the edge of the countersink on the valve body. After I tighten the screw properly I should take my center punch, place it on the head of the screw and punch the the screw toward that small hole. The idea being the screw will deform into that small hole and lock it in place. Will an automatic punch be enough for this?

Thanks for the help so far

Once again no memory but I think the center punch is to punch that little hole next to the screw and it pushes a little material up against the screw. But again my memory isn't the best. If I can think of it tomorrow I will look up the instructions.
I thought I had one fitting that needed to be clocked 90 degrees and that that fitting did not have the screws staked. Are all your fittings already staked as received?

All the fittings were in the valve body but no screws were in them. The screws came in a separate bag. As far as I can tell I do not think anything has been staked. My confusion now is what staking is and how I accomplish it. After some googling my best understanding is to center punch the head of the screw near the edge trying to deform the underneath side of the screw head into that little hole in the countersink but I do not know if that is correct.

Andair service alert for fitting screws

FYI - my recently acquired Andair valve does not have any instructions on properly securing the screws in the fittings.

Andair put out a service alert in 2010 addressing how to properly secure the SS screws. It's available on their website. The bulletin says you can "damage" the countersunk screw into the small hole adjacent to the countersink. I assume that is staking but it does not describe how to do it. Center punch I guess...maybe Loctite too. Good old belt and suspenders technique.

My valve does have the small holes adjacent to the countersink on the fittings. Also, the screws under the selector handle have been staked by the factory.

Back