What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Titan engines Pros and cons???

XLS+PAT

I put this thread in the RV7 section, I ment to put it here. Anyway, curious to

know what

VAF folks think about ECI Titan engines? Specifically the 0-360. I have seen

some cons but not any pros? Opinions???

Thanks

I put this thread in the RV7 section, I ment to put it here. Anyway, curious to

know what

VAF folks think about ECI Titan engines? Specifically the 0-360. I have seen

some cons but not any pros? Opinions???

Thanks
I have one of their OX-340's and don't have any issues with it. Starts easily with the dual Pmags and Rotec TBI - but if I was buying new today I would go EFI.

The factory baffles fit without modification, and other than a couple of instances of vapour lock last summer, have not had a problem.

I have an IOX-370 with the AFP FM200A injector and PMags. So far, no problems. The only thing I'd say is that if you want Vans brackets and other engine finishing kit items to work, stick with a standard set up in re: fuel injectors. I love my AFP injector, but it added at least two months of work since I had to fabricate all my brackets, do custom length control cables, and do a lot of work on the bottom cowl (ie-add a scoop).

No problems at 125 hr

I have a ECI Titan 0-360 with 8.5:1 pistons and dual p-mags. A very boring standard 0-360, but so far at only 125 hr it has performed as advertised. The dyno showed is makes 180 hp. It starts easy, and I have never had an engine problem related to ECI. I had an oil filter fail, but that is a separate issue. The basic O-360 is well known, bullet proof engine, but like any mechanical device it can fail as proven by Greese's crank shaft failure. I would not hesitate buying another ECI engine however.

I know friends that have used Titan engines and ECI parts with good luck. Performed as expected without issue.

I have friends with Titan engines and ECI parts that have had failures. MOST failures have been unable to get any warranty service, credit, or replacement parts discounted when they had issues.

Based on experience of friends with bad support, I will only use Titan or ECI parts when there is no other option.

The only bad experience that I had was one bad valve in an ECI cylinder at ~500-hours. One bad valve on 4 ECI cylinders. I have 4 other ECI cylinders going fine on another engine after ~300-hours.

~500 hours on my ECi engine that I assembled my self, back when they used to sell kit engines.

Standard 8.5:1 compression ratio and tapered cylinder barrels.

No problems of any kind, so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Purchased a Titan 540 from CMI a year ago. So far about 300 hrs on it.

Pros:

Excellent configuration options
Better warranty time than lycoming
Easy custom color selection
Competitive pricing

Cons:

Magneto was reconditioned (may have changed to new now?)
No roller lifter option

I ordered 9.0:1 compression. Ended up figuring out that I had the low compression pistons. Took a while to work though the specifics but finally agreed to have the pistons changed to the requested selection. CMI stood good for travel, incidentals, and changed them in their shop. Since then have had high oil consumption so looking into the cause. Time will tell how it pans out. I am suspecting cylinder glazing due to the re-use of the rings on new pistons without re-honing during the piston swap. If they stand good for it I would continue recommending them. Just one sample which means very little in the overall picture.

Last edited:
Back