What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller maintenance ?

rv72004

Well Known Member
I have a hartsell ,circa 2004 vintage, been on plane almost 5 years. It has done aprox 120 hours since new. Plane always hangared.
My AMO tells me it must be taken off and midlife inspec.
I know the rules, but the prop is still like new and never been in the elements. Is it really needed ??

I have a hartsell ,circa 2004 vintage, been on plane almost 5 years. It has done aprox 120 hours since new. Plane always hangared.
My AMO tells me it must be taken off and midlife inspec.
I know the rules, but the prop is still like new and never been in the elements. Is it really needed ??

I'm going to say no. I bet a lot of others-------who actually own and use these props will say the same. Mine is of longer vintage; been on for longer than five years, and approx. 150 hrs. It's only flown a little over 1 1/2 years. It's been re-greased during the condition inspection. Even the rubber plugs are still in great shape.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

I'd be happy to hear the answer to this as well. I have a McCauley CS prop on my C-180. It is about 10 years old, and has about 1000 hours. Its in a dry hangar 99.999% of the time. Works great, never a problem. The manufacturers all say similar things, but I don't know anybody outside of a Part 135 operator who pulls a good prop unless there is a reason. Does anybody have a good reason to do something to a prop in this situation?

Back