What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are headrests in the way when doing acro?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I've CAD full interior (without headrests) in my first RV and will definetely buy my interior from them for the second also.

I have been thinking of ordering WITH headrests for my second RV, but while doing some acro the other day, a thought struck me: maybe the headrests will be in the way when you tilt your head back to pick up the horizon during vertical maneuvers?

And maybe the headrests will be in the way when you reach into the baggagecompartment? Or maybe even loading/unloading stuff in there?

What's your experiences you people out there with headrests?

I haven't even considered headrests. So no experience, but why would I want to experience something so out of place in an aircraft. Fixed headrest are for whiplash protection in cars. They will always be in the way for all the reasons you mention, plus weight, and never help unless you're rear-ended.

Loading and unloading in a slider, if that's your style, can be greatly assisted by incorporating a tip-up feature that takes about an hour to create. So if you do put in headrests, loading from the ground is really easy, but they will obstruct rearward reach.

John Siebold

The first thing my father and I did after we sat inside an RV-7A for the first time was look at each other and say "we'd need headrests". I can't imagine a cross-country to Oshkosh from Oregon without them. We'd want them removable, just like a car, for acro. I'm all for it!

Not intrusive for aerobatics for me. I actually enjoy resting my head on the back side of the loop. Maybe for advanced aerobatics they would be in the way, but for sportsman aeros they are perfect and a non issue.
My 2 cents.

Back