What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop control oil line

longline

Well Known Member
I have a wide deck engine that will be built as a parallel valve. Trying to figure out which Lycoming part number for the prop governor to forward case tube. I do not want to use a hose. I have been told that there are different tubes, so I am looking for the part number from someone that has installed the PCU5000 governor.

Thanks
Longline

most of the lines are the same from the nose, around the sump to a point near the engine mount boss. From there they are all different. ESPECIALLY for experimentals with different governors, fittings, etc.
Made on several weeks ago for a client that was like one he sent me, then it wasnt. Different governor, and discharge fitting.

Email me and lets get together!
Tom

Tom, any reason to not

use a hose? --- I have seen it done both ways -- I have a hose.

Ron

Hard / Soft Line

The Governor does Not determine what line you use - its the housing that the governor bolts onto - some have a 45deg outlet and others horizontal

PCU 5000

governor is installed. I guess I will source out one of the old school governors and see what is different. Frankly, it looks like the same orientation/location of the discharge fitting. Be nice if the standard line fits. The flex hose works well, but takes up a lot of room that I am loath to give up.
Thanks
woody

Ron---have made quite a few for this application---mainly because of the different governors, housings and fittings. I have 3 from different engines here, and they are all different on the governor side. I went and did a mockup of one on a local RV8, with a Hartzell governor and a Superior sump. Made 2 of them in rigid 304 stainless, and was going to use them as patterns for another IO360. Had to change the discharge fitting and tweek the bends alittle to fit.

YEP---hose solves alot of those issues.
Its almost like making all the pump to servo hoses and incorporate all the different servos, sumps AND exhausts. Just cant have all those different parts.
But if we know the routing for the tubes at the governors, then we can blend them with the sump routings to make the rigid tubes. Maybe we need to make a trip to Barrett, and do some mockups with the different governors.

OH----if any of you would like a tube----let us know. All we'll need is a pattern of how the tube will fit on YOUR governor and discharge fitting, up to a point about where the dipstick tube is.

Tom

My Superior XP IO-360 came with an Aeroquip hose. They don?t use the hardline anymore because of some issues with wear against the clamps holding the line under the cylinders. This flexible line is really too long if routing it in the normal way, so I ran mine over the top. The angle fitting on the nose case points up and slightly aft to accept the hose. The hose runs aft along the backbone of the engine, is secured with an adel clamp bolted to the spider bracket and then it goes through the aft baffle. It really isn?t in the way, it?s easily secured along the way, and would be easy to replace if necessary.

The SS line that was ordered with my Superior engine was part # 75167 and fit perfectly. Google 75167 prop gov oil line and it will give a couple choices to order from.

I have a wide deck engine that will be built as a parallel valve. Trying to figure out which Lycoming part number for the prop governor to forward case tube. I do not want to use a hose. I have been told that there are different tubes, so I am looking for the part number from someone that has installed the PCU5000 governor.

Thanks
Longline

Service instruction No. 1435 covers the part numbers for the various Lycoming models. See page 4 for part numbers. Here's the link to Lycomings SI 1435 for download. https://www.lycoming.com/content/ser...uction-no-1435

You are running the PCU 5000 governor?
woody

IIRC The governor isn't the issue. It is the governor adapter which will accept the install of a variety of governors.
Superior sends out a hose for the task but I elected to order the SS line 75167 and it fit around the motor mount and to the adapter.

Good probability that 75167 would fit most applications. Look at page 3 of SI 1435. The show the tube, a straight, and what looks like to me a 45*, maybe a 90* adjustable adapter fitting. In their pic, the angled fitting is used to fit that tube, assuming its a 75167. Put in the straight nipple, and that tube wont work. Re-orient the installed angle of the adjustable fitting and the tube wont work.
Its great for a Lycoming installed governor for whatever prop. My point was for those custom experimental engines out there that at some point my have changed the governor and housing, the 4 Lycoming part numbers may not orient correctly.

Seems that they are all very similar to a point near the right lower Dynofocal mounting boss, then they change to route to the governor. You can still use a stainless rigid tube, but you may have to custom may one to fit YOUR particular application. I ones I made were for IO360, Superior sumps, and apparently 2 different governors or housings, and required 2 different angled tube ends to meet the adapters. Wasnt a problem to make, just wasnt an off the shelf item.

Tom

Use the 75167 line. As has been mentioned a couple of times, the make of governor has NO bearing on which oil transfer line fits. It runs from the nose of the engine case to the adapter the governor is attached to, not the governor itself. You can change the fitting on the adapter to fit the line if you have to.
I converted my O-360 A1A narrow-deck for a constant speed last year and, for all you narrow-deck guys, the 75167 line fit fine (even though it's called out for the wide-deck engines) with minor tweaking.
This line can be a little expensive and can be had used, just make sure it is a steel line. The early ones were aluminum.

HI Mike!
WE might end up making some 75167 in stainless. Guess we need to check the housing adapters to see what threads they are---the one the other day was 1/4 NPT, the test engine was O'Ring boss. Maybe even supply the different fittings.

Tom

HI Mike!
WE might end up making some 75167 in stainless. Guess we need to check the housing adapters to see what threads they are---the one the other day was 1/4 NPT, the test engine was O'Ring boss. Maybe even supply the different fittings.

Tom

Hi Tom. Mine was an early (1959!) adapter and it had NPT threads. All the late ones are straight threads like the fuel pump fittings. They both terminate in AN flared and I think you can change either for straight or 45 degree to match the transfer tube.

Last edited:
The adapter

is the key. I got that, thanks. Went to the hangar and looked at it, too. The parts catalog also calls out two different lengths of studs to mount the governor... and I will need to change those studs. Oh well.
I will try the suggested tube.
Thanks to all that replied
Longline

Tom

every oil line I have worked on was O ring boss. I find it interesting that early engines used pipe thread.

Oil line

If acquiring a used part make sure the “B” nuts are steel. Many of these lines were removed to comply with a old AD note (90-04-06) because of the aluminum “B” nuts. Also the fittings on the on the governor drive and the nose of the crankcase need to be steel due to the working pressures involved.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Last edited:
If acquiring a used part make sure the ?B? nuts are steel. Many of these lines were removed to comply with a old AD note (90-04-06) because of the aluminum ?B? nuts. Also the fittings on the on the governor drive and the nose of the crankcase need to be steel due to the working pressures involved.

The working pressure is only about 40-60 psi. If you connect shop air to the fitting on the nose case you can move the prop blades to high pitch with about 55-60 psi. The reason for the steel lines was because the aluminum ones were work hardening and cracking.

The working pressure is only about 40-60 psi. If you connect shop air to the fitting on the nose case you can move the prop blades to high pitch with about 55-60 psi. The reason for the steel lines was because the aluminum ones were work hardening and cracking.

Aluminum does work harden and you can change the pitch in the shop with air at those pressures, but when its spinning inflight and biting the air it takes a lot more. In the base of the governor is a gear pump that takes the 70 psi engine oil pressure and boosts it up. Lycoming and Hartzell have led me to to believe it?s in the 300-400psi range.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back