- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Rainier ,
I was just wondering on your thoughts to send all wires/signals to a central controller and then have a single cable to the efis. It might add some cost but would make removing the efis and accesing the panel rear a LOT quicker.
Some time ago you also mentioned one or 2 D plugs only, to the rear. If I remember, you said the wiring would be more difficult to do and this had stopped you doing it.
Any updates or views on above ideas ?
Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv72004 View Post
Rainier ,
I was just wondering on your thoughts to send all wires/signals to a central controller and then have a single cable to the efis. It might add some cost but would make removing the efis and accesing the panel rear a LOT quicker.
Some time ago you also mentioned one or 2 D plugs only, to the rear. If I remember, you said the wiring would be more difficult to do and this had stopped you doing it.
Any updates or views on above ideas ?
Thanks
I am expecting a MKIII update on these products later this year, busy working on the replacement of the current rear panels (in prototype now).

But there is just no way to put everything onto two D type connectors, not even big ones.
So the new panel has 8 of them and some are big ones, plus a few other connectors.
Partly this is to logically group signals (for example ARINC stuff all goes onto one connector) but also to avoid huge, clumsy harnesses as most installations will only need to wire a small fraction of the available connectivity (which is mind blowing by any standards).
The MKIII versions relate only to the rear panels, the rest remains as with the MKII released now.
Main additions are several more serial ports (so you don't need the COM extender), a total of three CAN interfaces and all the pressure ports are on brass NPT fittings.

Rainier
Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv72004 View Post
Rainier ,
Thanks
Now this will not happen with our EFIS systems due to cost - however...

We will be packaging our new rear panels (as they have become self sufficiant systems in their own right) and offering them to anybody that wants to turn out their own EFIS systems, perhaps based on the Apple IPad or something like it.
There are now quite a few options out there to make an EFIS based on an available tablet PC of sorts - but where this falls down is in connectivity, pressure sensors, AHRS and all the other goodies that a real EFIS just simply needs.
So, we might be able to help with the remote box of tricks...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Lamers View Post
Now this will not happen with our EFIS systems due to cost - however...

We will be packaging our new rear panels (as they have become self sufficiant systems in their own right) and offering them to anybody that wants to turn out their own EFIS systems, perhaps based on the Apple IPad or something like it.
There are now quite a few options out there to make an EFIS based on an available tablet PC of sorts - but where this falls down is in connectivity, pressure sensors, AHRS and all the other goodies that a real EFIS just simply needs.
So, we might be able to help with the remote box of tricks...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Thanks for the reply. What I meant was not so much a "brain controller" ,but rather a hub. [if that makes sense].
All the brains remain in the efis screen box. This way the efis can be quickly removed by disconecting a jumbo cable and a few screws. All the wires etc will remain attached to the hub. Only the one cable would be disconnected between the hub and efis.
As the bigger efis's leave such a large hole when removed, this "access hole" could be quickly "made"
Obviously with a lot of wiring etc into the back of the current efis, this cannot be easily or quickly achieved.
Just a thought as I have spent way to many hours squeezed under the panel of a 7.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Pricing?

A quick look at your website shows no pricing, could you provide a link, or does one have to email or call your US distributor?

Thanks

RV-7a 707DD Bot from David Domeier 12/01/11
Lycoming IO-360 Catto 3 blade Panel upgrade in progress

RV6a 18XP 1st flite 03/21/07 sold to Dale Walter 10/22/2011
Superior IO-360, Hartzell Blended, GRT/Dynon

Happily "autopaying" DR

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

Mark Twain

Last edited by Jerry Cochran : 02-10-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 PM

In re-doing the back panel, are you considering changing the airtalk connectors from RCA-type plugs to something with positive retention? Similarly with the USB ports?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Cochran View Post
A quick look at your website shows no pricing, could you provide a link, or does one have to email or call your US distributor?

Thanks
Hi Jerry,
We're an OEM dealer for MGL Avionics. Give me a call or email for pricing.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Default XTreme

Does anyone know if the XTreme, not the existing small monochrome one but the one with four or five buttons, color screen and a rotary knob, is still a work in progress or has it been scraped if favor of the Enigma? There had been talk of a release in March, 2010.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
In re-doing the back panel, are you considering changing the airtalk connectors from RCA-type plugs to something with positive retention? Similarly with the USB ports?
The RCA connectors are gone. While I'm somewhat sad about that (they really worked so well) it was a common request.
It's now all very professional, if that is the right term.

The USB connectors however remain (for obvious reasons ?) - however they are also accessible on one of the new connectors so you can have it any way you like. I must however add that we are moving all inter-system communications for our own network to CAN.

Rainier
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Cochran View Post

Thanks
Pricing varies a lot between countries due to the usual reasons (transport, duties, taxes, customs fees, distributor overheads etc etc - even the yo-yo like antics of the South African Rand vs. Foreign currency has a big effect depending on when a distributor bought his stock).
As you can imagine I have little control over pricing in other countries and removed local pricing from our website years ago.

We maintain very few distributors (and have not allowed any new ones for years) so we can create viable centers of support.

For the U.S. - you will find all you need at www.MGLAvionics.com

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics