- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-20-2008, 06:41 AM

Thanks Lads,

There is some info on priming here
http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/section%205r9a.pdf
They seem to rely on alclad and wash primer for sheet and the preassembled main spars are gold anodised. They clearly state that rod/angle should be primed or anodised before installation.

Re wet assembly - I've done a little further reseach on common industry practices (I'm sure they vary from company to company). It seems the protection measures are dependant on the joint materials in contact, the fastener material and fit (ie close tolerance or clearance) and the environment. So for example, a clearance fit bolt joining dissimilar materials is more likely to be wet installed than rivetted ali sheet of the same material. Anything in a maritime environment is likely to get full wet assembly everywhere. Measures are generally some combination of faying surface seal, edge fillet, shank and/or head and tail wet install. The large areas of ali riveted 2024-T3 sheet (all same material) on the RVs may not warrant any special treatment if you keep it out of the weather and don't live by the coast.

All complete speculation and opinion of course. Alec.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:02 AM

Default Wet built Rocket

I recall reading an article in Sport Aviation about four years ago about a guy in California who built a (Harmon?) Rocket. His built time was crazy high, like 4-6k hours. In fairness, it was a beautiful plane but I don't think I could justify the extra time and effort.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 AM

Default JC5A

I'm wet assembling an RV8 with JC5A. Normal priming then putting JC5A on the joints. JC5A is a chromate paste. To put it on is minimal time, i.e for all the joints on the big wing skins it takes about 2 to 3 minutes at most. A small tin of JC5A weighs about a 1lb and there is enough in there to do a couple of RV's. You only need a very thin wiping on the joints. I did quite a bit of research into this before I started building and have followed normal local aircraft maintenance proceedures. JC5A does not harden and as the airframe flexes, it flexes with it there by keeping a nice chromate joint. Two problems with JC5A. 1. Cost. I paid aprrox $120 for a small tin. 2. Can make riviting a bit slippery which is a non problem if you keep the snaps and bucking bars wiped. So for me it was a no brainer due to the fact I live in a high corrosion area. The RV's that have been built locally in our small group have used the same method.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM

I know this is an old thread but it seemed appropriate to post it here...

Does wet assembling interfere with conductivity between the parts?
Empennage kit...started!

My KitLog
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8or View Post
I'm wet assembling an RV8 with JC5A. Normal priming then putting JC5A on the joints. JC5A is a chromate paste. To put it on is minimal time, i.e for all the joints on the big wing skins it takes about 2 to 3 minutes at most. A small tin of JC5A weighs about a 1lb and there is enough in there to do a couple of RV's. You only need a very thin wiping on the joints. I did quite a bit of research into this before I started building and have followed normal local aircraft maintenance proceedures. JC5A does not harden and as the airframe flexes, it flexes with it there by keeping a nice chromate joint. Two problems with JC5A. 1. Cost. I paid aprrox $120 for a small tin. 2. Can make riviting a bit slippery which is a non problem if you keep the snaps and bucking bars wiped. So for me it was a no brainer due to the fact I live in a high corrosion area. The RV's that have been built locally in our small group have used the same method.
Unfortunately JC5 is also known to cause cancer.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
I know this is an old thread but it seemed appropriate to post it here...

Does wet assembling interfere with conductivity between the parts?
Not really because the rivets are still metal to metal.
We have had no problems running current through the fuselage.
Savannah, GA and Ridgeland, SC

Last edited by TSwezey : 01-21-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks. I figured there would still be some sort of contact but wanted to make sure.
Empennage kit...started!

My KitLog
Old 01-21-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSwezey View Post
I live in a salt air environment. Everywhere I fly is a salt air environment. You should have seen the rust on the tools and some of the corrosion as we were building the plane. I think it added atleast 50 lbs to my plane.
Considering that tank sealant weighs about 2 lbs per quart (actually a little less) I think you will have to find another source of excess weight (making the asumption you did not use 25 quarts of sealant).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM

RV72004

Quote "Unfortunately JC5 is also known to cause cancer."

Can you back this statement up with scientific papers and confirmed data.

Interrested so that I can take appropriate precautions.

Thanks
rv8or
Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8or View Post
RV72004

Quote "Unfortunately JC5 is also known to cause cancer."

Can you back this statement up with scientific papers and confirmed data.

Interrested so that I can take appropriate precautions.

Thanks
rv8or
Google is your friend:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/zincchromate/recognition.html

Ted Johns
RV9 emp & wings