What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

(Opinions Needed) No Engine Log prior to overhaul

Duff652

Hi all,

New to the RV/Experimantal World, and I'm looking at RV's. Question? What are your opinions on buying an O-320 that has low time since its' last overhaul, but has no engine logbook/history prior to said overhaul? Engine runs well with good compression

Thanks!!

It would at least be good to know if the crank has been turned and how much, and how many times the case has been surfaced. The last one is unknowable, the first can be determined if there is a comprehensive list of parts installed (with receipts), along with Yellow tags for the crank, case, rods, misc steel parts and cylinders (if overhauled). Those would be on my must have it list and ought to be kept with the engine log IMO. There should also be reference in the log pertaining to AD?s and any SB, SI?s that were addressed. If you don't have the above you really don?t know squat about the engine and should negotiate from the position the engine is run out. An ?overhaul? can mean just about anything in the exp world.
Tim Andres

Hi all,

New to the RV/Experimantal World, and I'm looking at RV's. Question? What are your opinions on buying an O-320 that has low time since its' last overhaul, but has no engine logbook/history prior to said overhaul? Engine runs well with good compression

Thanks!!

There is a reason in the absence of a critical logbook. Selling price would be another indication. Red flag in my opinion. You asked. :)

Prior history is one thing, but what is more important IMO is the existence of a valid record for all the critical parts.

If the engine was assembled with parts from multiple sources by a reputable person/shop and there are good Yellow Tags (aka 8130-3's) available I would have less concern.

A bigger deal than missing logbooks would be how it was overhauled. It's perfectly legal to overhaul an engine to 'service limits'. That *could* mean opening it up, and if everything measures within limits, simply reassembling it, replacing only things that are specifically single use, like the rod bolts. So you could be buying an 'overhauled engine' with 1500 hours already on it. I paid that price when I had a set of cylinders 'overhauled'. I knew better, but forgot to spec 'new limits'.

Regardless, buying *any* a/c engine is rolling the dice...

Charlie

A bigger deal than missing logbooks would be how it was overhauled. It's perfectly legal to overhaul an engine to 'service limits'. That *could* mean opening it up, and if everything measures within limits, simply reassembling it, replacing only things that are specifically single use, like the rod bolts. So you could be buying an 'overhauled engine' with 1500 hours already on it. I paid that price when I had a set of cylinders 'overhauled'. I knew better, but forgot to spec 'new limits'.

Regardless, buying *any* a/c engine is rolling the dice...

Charlie

Wouldn't your description of overhauled even apply to a Lycoming factory overhauled engine? Just the old debate of service vs new limits.

With the exception that Lycoming does use new cylinders on both overhauled and rebuilt engines. Sort of acknowledging the weak point. :)

Wouldn't your description of overhauled even apply to a Lycoming factory overhauled engine? Just the old debate of service vs new limits.

With the exception that Lycoming does use new cylinders on both overhauled and rebuilt engines. Sort of acknowledging the weak point. :)

I suppose it could. My point is to ask, and have at least some confidence in the answer. Honestly, I'd be a bit surprised if the Lyc factory or other major overhaul shop went cheap; they have a lot more to lose than some local A&P, who may have gotten specific instructions from an owner to go cheap.

Look in the overhaul documents to verify if it was properly overhauled. From those, you may be able to determine how far the bits and pieces were ground down, what new parts were included, etc.

Realize that if you get a factory remanufactured engine from Lycoming, it comes with some used (reconditioned) parts and a zero time logbook with no record showing the history of the parts.

The missing logbooks sould not present that big a deal IF the current overhaul is properly documented. All steel parts inspected and certified including crank, cam and gears. Crankcase recertified, magnetos, fuel pump, carb or F/I overhauled or replaced. Documented list of installed parts and AD's as well as a reference that overhaul was performed IAW Lycoming Overhaul manual. Most good overhauls include NEW cylinder assemblies. If the existing cylinders were just "overhauled", that would be a red flag since their total time is unknown. Engine isolators as well as fuel and oil lines should also have been replaced. Be sure the engine has a legitimate Data Plate.
If the above mentioned has not been performed/documented, then I would not consider the engine to be "overhauled". Anything less should raise concerns and be reflected on the purchase price.

Back