What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plastic Bushing for Rudder Cable routing

Jetmart

Well Known Member
Does anyone have concerns with the plastic bushings used for the routing of the rudder cable from the pedals to the rudder? There are several that are actually used to change direction of the cable slightly which will result in a fair bit of rubbing.

Has anyone with a fair bit of time on them seen any indication of wear?
A few of them are under the baggage floor which is difficult to inspect and change if required.

I remember my neighbor rerouting those cables slightly to mitigate bushing wear but I don't know the details.

I think the bushings with the most side-load on them are the ones by the pitch servo. After 300 hrs I see no wear, but I have been rotating them whenever I get back there. I've heard of builders putting a smaller bushing inside the larger one as a precaution.

That basic design has been proven in 10,000+ RV's. It works. That said, watch the bushings for signs of wear. I'm still at virtually zero wear after 1200 hours...

That basic design has been proven in 10,000+ RV's. It works. That said, watch the bushings for signs of wear. I'm still at virtually zero wear after 1200 hours...

I did't think all that all models routed the cables in the same way. The 14 has them running up the centre and therefore I believe more side load. Perhaps not. I'm am not that familiar with other models. Just what I have been told. It was enough of a concern for a Canadian MDRA inspector.

I did't think all that all models routed the cables in the same way. The 14 has them running up the centre and therefore I believe more side load. Perhaps not. I'm am not that familiar with other models. Just what I have been told. It was enough of a concern for a Canadian MDRA inspector.

They don't all run the same path. The -10 and -14 run them down the middle, the others go down the sides (dunno about the -12). Either way, there are minor course corrections along the way which is where/why any wear would take place.

I think the bushings with the most side-load on them are the ones by the pitch servo. After 300 hrs I see no wear, but I have been rotating them whenever I get back there. I've heard of builders putting a smaller bushing inside the larger one as a precaution.

You can take the next size smaller bushing and splice it with a razor blade, slip it over the cable and snap it into the existing bushing. This will give more wear surface for the cable, and if it wears after time, it can be removed with a piece of tubing with a section removed to slip over the cable.

You can take the next size smaller bushing and splice it with a razor blade, slip it over the cable and snap it into the existing bushing. This will give more wear surface for the cable, and if it wears after time, it can be removed with a piece of tubing with a section removed to slip over the cable.

I did exactly this for the same concern as it has been raised here. Well, I just did my first annual inspection and looked at those bushings very closely. To my surprise, I could not even see a marking on them and I often slip the plane which I assume the force on the rudder cable is more than normal use of it during taxi, etc.

Back