What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Logo Lighting

descro

Does anyone here have knowledge about LED lighting to illuminate the tail of an RV (RV14a) ? I believe most of the commercial guys mount it in the horizontal stabilizer wingtip.

Searched the forums and online, called several manufacturers, but all I found were lights that protruded up above the fiberglass more than I'd like.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If you're happy to pay 60 million for an A320 you'll have yourself in a nice set of flush mounted logo lights where the fitting inside is angled towards the tail. Bargain.

Jokes aside, if someone has access to the IPC for that aircraft they'll be able track down the manufacturer from the part number which might help.

Pat

I can't help with the manufacturer for the Airbus lights, but the logo light on the 737 is made by Koito Manufacturing Co., LTD of Japan. They are a huge manufacturer of lights for automobiles, and make a few airplane products on the side.

The draw back with that light is that the light assembly itself is thicker than our stabilizers, no way to flush mount it. Anything available from a commercial airplane is going to be way too big and worse, heavy.

A better way to do it is to try to get the guy at Duck Works to come up with something.

This is the beauty of Experimental... you can make your own. It will take you twice as long as you think, and cost twice as much:)

Seems unlikely that you?ll find someone to do it for you - i doubt there is that much of a market for it. I?ve put a bunch of bells and whistles in my -10, and even thought about what you are describing. I just dont care enough to spend the extra effort to figure it out or install it.

Looks like Whelen makes or used to make one. Also found one on Lasar.com P/N 01-0770144-00, looks like they are a Mooney specialty shop, but heck they might just sell you a couple and they don’t seem too expensive.

Last edited:
auto parts

You can look around for a license plate light from various autos and trucks. Might move up to a brighter LED to get the proper pattern and lumens...

I also recall my Dad's 1963 Skyhawk had under-wing courtesy lights - I'll be those would work too.

Last edited:
There called ?Devore? lights ?

Yes, Devore Aviation makes them for the Boeing 717, DC-9 and MD-80 series and also for the 737-100 through 737-400 series. They mount to the trailing edge of the wingtip and point at the vertical stabilizer. I remember that the crews would shut them off some time after takeoff so as not to annoy passengers at night.

I doubt you would want a wingtip light like that on an RV due to the glare.

I would think a small faired LED on the tip of the horizontal stabilizer aimed at the tail would do it............

An appropriately angled LED, maybe with a reflector and diffuser, mounted in the fiberglass fairing in the fuselage to empennage transition would probably be easier, give you more internal space to work with, and give you more scope for second attempts arising from failures.

I'd be careful about doing anything to the HS which changes its mass distribution, especially out near the tips.

- mark

Back