What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I be worried?

RV74ME

Well Known Member
So I came across a thread the other day as I was researching ideas for aircraft jacks that has me worried...

It mentioned DO NOT lift from the metal loop on top of the engine, as apparently there have been some that tried that and basically tore the engine apart.

Unfortunately, I found this information after I did exactly that...lifted weight off the wheels using an engine hoist attached to the loop on top of the engine. Fortunately, nothing bad happened...

Or did it? Is it possible I did any damage or stressed something that I havent detected yet? Am I over thinking this, or is this a valid concern that I need to further investigate?

yeah, do not lift the aircraft by the engine. engine damage can result. our planes are light weight so that is in your favor. recommend an FPI inspection around the engine casing at the lifting lug location and the engine mount attachments. visually inspect the engine mount frame and aircraft attachment points for cracks.

The Lycoming OH manual clearly states to use, and shows, lifting straps (rings) used to lift the engine that are attached to the upper case line, so if that's what you've lifted with, you should be fine. Of course, the engine, not the whole airplane ;)

Alternatively, you can run lifting straps under the base of the cylinders on both sides of the engine and lift it that way without issue as well.

Last edited:
No reason to be concerned about having done any damage to the engine mount or fuselage attach points. They can take 6+ G’s of engine weight.

The issue is the single 1/4 inch bolt with not a lot of edge distance / material cross section on the top of the engine case. I wold remove the bolt and visually inspect the case. If there is no evidence of plastic deformation or cracks, put it back together with a new toothed lock washer and forget about it.

If the lift that you did was not a finished airplane (without the wings attached) the likelihood that you did any damage is very low.
When we have to lift in my shop and have no wings to use jacks on, we sling with straps through the engine mount directly behind the dyna ring.

Last edited:
No reason to be concerned about having done any damage to the engine mount or fuselage attach points. They can take 6+ G?s of engine weight.

The issue is the single 1/4 inch bolt with not a lot of edge distance / material cross section on the top of the engine case. I wold remove the bolt and visually inspect the case. If there is no evidence of plastic deformation or cracks, put it back together with a new toothed lock washer and forget about it.

If the lift that you did was not a finished airplane (without the wings attached) the likelihood that you did any damage is very low.
When we have to lift in my shop and have no wings to use jacks on, we sling with straps through the engine mount directly behind the dyna ring.

Is this also an acceptable method to lift nosewheel for checking breakout force? I have had a friend push tail down and push a padded sawhorse under the firewall once or twice and would probably lift this way to place the sawhorse.

No reason to be concerned about having done any damage to the engine mount or fuselage attach points. They can take 6+ G?s of engine weight.

Thanks Scott. Yes, it?s complete with wings on. I will check it out tonight when I get home.

If really worried, you can get Penetrant Dye, Cleaner and solvent from almost any welding store to check for cracks.

Spray cans is what we sell where I work.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Back