What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Does Boeing 727 s/n 1 and the RV-12 Have in Common?

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Mr. Bob Bogash.

"The first Boeing 727 — a model that became one of the company’s top-selling planes of all time — will take to the skies one last time after a 25-year restoration effort. It’s bound for its final home, the Museum of Flight." (read article)
95061708-dcd1-11e5-bc8a-e433c209bfb2-780x540.jpg

image courtesy Steve Ringman/The Seattle Times

Last edited:
Great story!!

The Museum of Flight is a must see for aviators, I love the place.

As popular as the 727 was I disliked it intensely.

It wasn't the airplane it was the flight engineer panel, spent somewhere near 2000 hours at it waiting for a pilot slot. A totally boring, useless job. Had it been moved forward a bit either pilot could have operated it.

Those were good days though, we had a lot of fun in the three holer. Some guys called it the "morphidite", three engine, give me a break. :)

Loved the 727

Coming out of the tanker (KC-135) with water injected engines and no thrust reverse, the B-727 seemed like a thoroughly modern airplane.

The tanker had to be muscled with finesse. The 72 flew with fingertips and was a delight to fly - like a fine luxury car of the day versus a dump truck.

I especially liked our "shortys" (the -100) they had brakes on the nose wheel as well as the mains and you could get that baby stopped! Great on short runways in the Caribbean.

It was retired before I was senior enough to check out as Captain.

We affectionately referred to it as the "Harley".

I missed it, how is the 72 similar to the RV-12?

Last edited:
Museum of Flight

As a side note about the Museum of Flight.

They have a display of a restored UH-1H "Huey" 69-15140 which flew in Vietnam with B. Co. 158th, Avn. BN, 101st Abn. Div. "Lancers" Mostly flown out of Camp Evans in Northern I Corps.

During the time frame between January of 1971 and April of 1971, I flew as one of many "peter pilots" on this aircraft under the watchful eyes of CW2 John Donaldson. I turned 20 while serving with the Lancers.

The picture in the bellow link is CW2 John Donaldson who was the primary Aircraft Commander for 140. John, now suffers from sever PTSD attributed to his time in Vietnam.

https://www.museumofflight.org/exhibits/bell-huey-uh-1h-iroquois

Lancers Homepage
http://www.thelancers.org/

The picture in the bellow link is CW2 John Donaldson who was the primary Aircraft Commander for 140. John, now suffers from sever PTSD attributed to his time in Vietnam.

I thank him for his service and feel bad that he now can't fully enjoy his life with the freedom he provided us.

"in common" = similar?

Read the thread title a bit closer; it's not "how are they similar", it's "what do these two ships have in common"...

Sorry - while I did not use the exact same word - unless I am mistaken 'similar' is a synonym for "in common."

In any event, what is the answer to the question?

Last edited:
Sorry - while I did not use the exact same word - unless I am mistaken 'similar' is a synonym for "in common."

No, my wife and I have a lot in common but are really not similar.

And I guess the answer is Bob Bogash, and his efforts to get one of each airborne. I think that was actually answered in the first post, though.

N7001U and N737G have been spending a lot of time together.
i-H8rp9pq-L.jpg

i-NzS8DcG-L.jpg

And after sitting for 25 years and months of restoration to prepare for her final flight, N7001U, with Bogey in the cockpit with the crew, safely arrived yesterday at her final Museum of Flight destination:
i-KpjDTjR-L.jpg

Last edited:
It wasn't the airplane it was the flight engineer panel, spent somewhere near 2000 hours at it waiting for a pilot slot. A totally boring, useless job. Had it been moved forward a bit either pilot could have operated it.

As one of those guys on a 707, I think you were just doing it wrong... :p

Was great being able to look out the office window and see the 727 come into Boeing Field. Just wish they had let us fly it in, and not some FedEx guys. :cool:

As one of those guys on a 707, I think you were just doing it wrong... :p

Was great being able to look out the office window and see the 727 come into Boeing Field. Just wish they had let us fly it in, and not some FedEx guys. :cool:

FedEX donated the 3 engines that were along on the flight, but none of the flight crew ever flew for FedEX.

FedEX donated the 3 engines that were along on the flight, but none of the flight crew ever flew for FedEX.

Really? We were told within Boeing FlightOps that it was contracted out to FedEx pilots.

If they weren't FedEx, guess they were Mercs... :p

Really? We were told within Boeing FlightOps that it was contracted out to FedEx pilots.

If they weren't FedEx, guess they were Mercs... :p

Read Bob's website to learn the real story. Like Bob, the flight crew were all volunteers, paid their own way out here and expenses. Boeing did not participate.

Back