What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto pilot control panel

olderthandirt

Well Known Member
I keep thinking I should install the auto pilot control panel (SV-AP-Panel/H) but worry about wiring into Skyview...any thoughts or advice

I keep thinking I should install the auto pilot control panel (SV-AP-Panel/H) but worry about wiring into Skyview...any thoughts or advice
The actual wiring was mostly easy, although there are three pins that need to be removed and I've never been especially good at that.

The cutting and fitting was a lot more work. There were a couple of hiccups in the configuration, but those were surmountable.

The improvement in usability was very much worth the effort, in my opinion.

http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2015/07/automating-autopilot.html

Last edited:
Need AP-PANEL ?

I also found the the install process not too difficult, but time consuming. A Dremel mounted cutting wheel and a set of small files do most of the work. Like any close tolerance work, take your time.

Vans provides a template for layout along with instructions containing many pix. The panel knob kit is designed for retrofit as well as new construction.

But do you really need it? A neighbor with is happy with the basic autopilot in his RV-12 for day VFR. In that mode I find it satisfactory too. Hand fly it to altitude and, with the flight plan entered and activated, push the HSI+ALT softkey. Nearing destination, disconnect AP and hand fly to runway. Enroute the system may ask you a few times to manually change the trim. The non-AP three-knob panel functions are handled readily by touch-screen inputs. KISS

Dynon's auotrim function requires the knob panels as does navigating in the expert mode, such as programmed climbs and descents. I would want this in an IFR airplane. Unfortunately my wife wants it in her airplane too (sigh), which is why I installed it.

thanks for help

I can't get Van's to sell me the horizontal control panel as they don't stock it, so the issue becomes one of getting their wiring bundle, surely it is same for verticle as horizontal one?? And yes even Dynon said don't bother unless traveling across country a bunch or IFR...so maybe it is not needed...I have seen it in every picture Van's shows of panel on there aircraft so just thought it was needed???

I put the horizontal knob panel just above the radio GTR200 and it fits perfectly with a simple plug and play wire harness from Dynon.
A very functional addition to the panel.

I put the horizontal knob panel just above the radio GTR200 and it fits perfectly with a simple plug and play wire harness from Dynon.
A very functional addition to the panel.

Hey Lee....what field do you fly out of???? My wife & I just bought a "snowbird" property in Casa Grande; and I hope to be flying my -12 down soon.

Looking forward to meeting other -12 fliers around-about!!

Hey Lee....what field do you fly out of???? My wife & I just bought a "snowbird" property in Casa Grande; and I hope to be flying my -12 down soon.

Looking forward to meeting other -12 fliers around-about!!

Deer Valley, give a shout when you're settled and I'm sure we can gather a few other 12's for a fly out.

My Father keeps and flies an Ercoupe from that same airport. Actually it's a 1956 Forney (Ercoupe clone), white with blue and yellow stripes (faded) and accents. Sweet little plane that he got for a song. His buying that Ercoupe is what inspired me to buy my 12.

Say Hi to him from his son if you see him. I'll be up that way soon enough to visit after I get my license in my new 12.

Dynon's auotrim function requires the knob panels as does navigating in the expert mode, such as programmed climbs and descents. I would want this in an IFR airplane. Unfortunately my wife wants it in her airplane too (sigh), which is why I installed it.

You can use expert mode without the knobs. I've done it quite often. You have to enter setup mode to set it in expert mode before you takeoff though.

I wish Dynon Skyview would offer an inexpensive / easy-to-install gadget that would enable AUTOTRIM without having to buy / install the auxiliary AP control panel. I have become adept at using my non-Touch (Expert mode) SV buttons for all functions but would like the AUTOTRIM capability to avoid the need for manual trimming.

I wish Dynon Skyview would offer an inexpensive / easy-to-install gadget that would enable AUTOTRIM without having to buy / install the auxiliary AP control panel. I have become adept at using my non-Touch (Expert mode) SV buttons for all functions but would like the AUTOTRIM capability to avoid the need for manual trimming.

Yep, ditto.

As auto trims go, this is not outrageously priced, even if you were to install it remote just for auto trim. It beats the snot out of pushing buttons on the screen, though.

Auto Pilot panel

Building a plane makes one hope to do it only once..so my issue is not expense..no I'm not rich..just don't want to make mistake...just like the best that is possible at time of build...like buying a car and finding out there is a option for power seat...and ease of use...which is better the knob panel or the full auto pilot panel ($595.00)..yes I'm not going cross country..nor flying IFR...but still want what is best at time of build...thanks

Building a plane makes one hope to do it only once..so my issue is not expense..no I'm not rich..just don't want to make mistake...just like the best that is possible at time of build...like buying a car and finding out there is a option for power seat...and ease of use...which is better the knob panel or the full auto pilot panel ($595.00)..yes I'm not going cross country..nor flying IFR...but still want what is best at time of build...thanks

Kind of like asking which is better, a Skylane or a Super Cub. The best option is both. If I had a touch screen, I'd pick the AP Panel. If not, I'd pick the knobs. I have a touch screen and both, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Kind of like asking which is better, a Skylane or a Super Cub. The best option is both. If I had a touch screen, I'd pick the AP Panel. If not, I'd pick the knobs. I have a touch screen and both, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jesse makes an important point here that could easily get lost in the noise. I bought my -4 with a regular Skyview (non-touch) display and installed the Knobs panel. I found the dedicated knobs extremely useful, IFR or not. Then, I upgraded to the Skyview Touch display. Now, I rarely use the knobs. I find it easier and more intuitive to just touch the indication (IAS, VS, altimeter, etc.) on the display and then used the knob on the display. The beauty of the Touch design is that it automatically assigns the knob to the data label you touched. Easy! So, I'm considering removing the Knob panel and swapping it for the autopilot panel. I push a lot more buttons to get to the autopilot functions than I'd like and the panel would definitely make that easier.

Now, I know this is the -12 forum and you guys have your own set of limitations with the Vans supplied hardware and such. But, if you could or just want to choose only one, and you have the Touch display, regardless of aircraft model, I'd go with the autopilot panel. If you don't have a touch display, the Knobs panel is very useful too.

You can change the AP to/from expert mode in flight. The in-flight setup menu allows that.

Dynon wiring

Some of my hesitation with AP panel is wiring, heard there are nine wires to hookup unit to EFIS...not being wiring guru I try to minimize that issue, but considering the benefits of AP Panel maybe I better just bite bullet and wire away..must be directions with unit?? thanks for all inpute...:D

Randy -- The problem is that the TOUCH SV alone does not offer AUTOTRIM. You have to install the AP CONTROL panel to enable AUTOTRIM. I would pay for the easy TOUCH upgrade (and forgo the more-difficult-to-install AP CONTROL panel and KNOB panel) if the TOUCH SV offered AUTOTRIM. -- David

Some of my hesitation with AP panel is wiring, heard there are nine wires to hookup unit to EFIS...not being wiring guru I try to minimize that issue, but considering the benefits of AP Panel maybe I better just bite bullet and wire away..must be directions with unit?? thanks for all inpute...:D

You don't actually have to wire anything unless you hook up the auto trim. Just buy a Dynon network cable and plug it into the screen.

Back