- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Default Nose Landing Gear Play

Hey guys, I've been flying my -10 for 4 years now. I finally replaced the nose tire and noticed when I had the nose off the ground that there was some play in the landing gear....not a whole lot but enough to make me check all the bushings. I don't normally lift the leg up but when I checking torque's and generally inspecting the nose wheel area I lifted the gear leg and found very slight vertical and lateral movement. The plans don't mention play limits and its been too long since I first installed the gear to remember if I had it from new or not. The bushings were fine and the gear shows no wear...I'm thinking I may be over thinking this but was curious if others noticed this when new because I can't remember.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM

If your nose gear has vertical motion when it is unloaded, it simply means the rubber shock "donuts" have compressed. Vans provided, with your kit, extra washers to be used and installed just for this reason. The washers are installed at the top end of the shaft under the "top hat". I am sure you can obtain these from Vans.
If you have lateral movement, I would check the bushings at the gear leg pivot points.
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

The rubber donuts do settle in a bit, that may be the source of your up/dn movement.

See page 46-7, upper right hand, second paragraph (I think it is) discusses adding a second u-1002 washer after the donuts settle.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Totally forgot about those washers. I'll dig those out tomorrow. In the mean time I have replaced all the bushings however there was no apparent problem with any of them. Thanks for memory jog.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Sorry for the necropost, but this is the only thread that mentions the appropriate part number. What are the U-1002's made from? I have a total of 4 aluminum washers that would seem to be the right parts, but they don't have a part number.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Sorry for the necropost, but this is the only thread that mentions the appropriate part number. What are the U-1002's made from? I have a total of 4 aluminum washers that would seem to be the right parts, but they don't have a part number.
Those are the ones. Stamped out of aluminum sheet stock. De-bur before install.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-05-2018, 08:17 AM

Default Check your bushings

I still had considerable play in the nosegear leg after properly compressing and preloading the elastomer discs. This turned out to be because of the sloppy fit of the VA 143 ans VA144 bushings in the nose gear link and engine mount weldments. I ended up turning some new bushings that fit better but Vans also sells oversize bushings to fix this problem. The VA143 bushing fit was poor enough to make me think the elastomers were loose at first because of the vertical play in the gear leg.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:16 PM

On a related note, I have one of the aluminum washers installed under the WD-1015 (that's the cap on top of the shock strut), and am struggling to compress the donuts far enough to install the bolt which secures the WD-1015.

At this point, the main gear is off of the ground and the airplane is supported by the engine hoist lifting the very front of the nosegear strut and by sawhorses under the tail. In other words, I have maximum mechanical advantage to compress the donuts.

Despite that, I cannot compress the donuts far enough to install the bolt through the WD-1015. Eyeballing it, I need to compress the donuts another 1/8" or so. Even with me doing a pull-up on the engine mount to add more weight, I'm not getting there.

Since a few hundred folks have already solved this problem, there must be a better answer.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 02-07-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 AM

Default Washers

How many washers are you trying to put in? When I did mine, only one would come close to fitting. With the engine mounted, I pulled down on the mount using body weight, and the bolt went right in...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 02-08-2018, 04:11 AM

I believe someone posted about a ratchet strap around prop hub and gear leg to compress enough for bolt to slip in.