- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Stall warning kit in the wing

Just wondering how many people are installing the stall warning kit that comes with their 14 kit if they are planning on installing AOA? This is one of those redundant part which I am debating to install it or just suffice with the AOA that comes with G3x system
Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM

I'm going with AOA only, I don't think I even received a stall warn kit from Vans?
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Engine and Fuel System Testing
Old 02-12-2018, 03:55 PM

When I ordered my qb wings I asked to delete the stall warn parts and Van's told me this is flight critical and cannot be omitted. I'm still going to omit this and use AOA.

N902X reserved
RV-14a Empennage Kit
Build Log
Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM

Since the AOA systems usually need in-flight calibration, you might consider installing the factory stall warning system for the first flight(s); remove it later if you wish.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:05 PM

I have AOA (Garmin) but opted to keep the Vans stall warn (it was in the wing kit). My reasoning was that since the hole was already cut in the leading edge skin, filling it in would likely look worse than having the stall vane - connected or not.

I then opted to connect the stall indicator to the Garmin GAD 27 on a discrete input. The GAD 27 is set up to activate the Master Alarm (red light) in the crew alert system (CAS) in the G3X. Originally I also had an audio alert in the G3X but I have since turned that off (simple software setting) and if I want, I can deactivate the red light by just changing a setting in the GAD 27 (or G3X).

I have the AOA calibrated and I find the stall warn (Vans) goes off well before reaching critical AOA.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, Phase I compl Apr 3, 2017, >240 hrs
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 11/2017
Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
I have AOA (Garmin) but opted to keep the Vans stall warn (it was in the wing kit). My reasoning was that since the hole was already cut in the leading edge skin, filling it in would likely look worse than having the stall vane - connected or not.

I then opted to connect the stall indicator to the Garmin GAD 27 on a discrete input. The GAD 27 is set up to activate the Master Alarm (red light) in the crew alert system (CAS) in the G3X. Originally I also had an audio alert in the G3X but I have since turned that off (simple software setting) and if I want, I can deactivate the red light by just changing a setting in the GAD 27 (or G3X).

I have the AOA calibrated and I find the stall warn (Vans) goes off well before reaching critical AOA.
I think this is a good plan that I might go with. My kit has only two small hole in the leading edge as a template that I need to use to cut the slot for the vane. I just don't like the vane tab sticking out and removing it later is not good option for me since I will have a slot in the leading edge open.

some times having too many options is not a good thing
Old 02-12-2018, 11:07 PM

I will not use it and filled the holes with rivets. You will probably not be able to tell that they are there after scuffing/priming/painting
RV-14 kit #140138
working on FW forward and finish kit
wings, tail kit and fuselage basically done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
I will not use it and filled the holes with rivets. You will probably not be able to tell that they are there after scuffing/priming/painting
I put a bid of glass on the inside over the holes, the holes themselves had some micro before the glass. After set up sand the mico flush with the skin and paint.

Carl
Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Does anyone know if they can be calibrated for accuracy?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Does anyone know if they can be calibrated for accuracy?
If by they you mean the vane type stall warning?
Yes, they can.

The way they work is that the switch trips when the stagnation point on the leading edge of the wing switches from hitting the leading edge at a point above the vane to hitting a point just below the vane.
Or in simpler terms, when the relative wind transitions through the point where the relative wind switches between hitting the top side of the vane (and holding it in the down position) at a particular angle of attack, to hitting the bottom side of the vane and causing it to lift.
So if you adjust the bend angle of the vane, the switch will occur at a different angle of attack.

If you need the warning to come on at a slower speed (higher angle of attack), you need to bend the vane downward.
If you need the warning to come on at a higher speed, you need to bend the vane upward.

In most airplanes, it should actually be referred to as a pre-stall warning. There is no point in warning you that you are stalled.... you probably would already know at that point.
The typical setting is for it to activate at 5 - 7 kts above stall AOA.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 02-13-2018 at 10:30 AM.