What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl slot

rvdave

Well Known Member
Is there any advantage to partially covering the cowl slot forward of the nose gear? Would covering that partially have a positive or negative influence?

The slot in my lower cowl (fore and aft of the nose strut) is covered by small plates attached by screws...

The slot in my lower cowl (fore and aft of the nose strut) is covered by small plates attached by screws...

I am going to take a wild guess here, and say you are not flying a 10.;)

I used wet suit material to fill the slot in front of the gear leg, slit in the middle.

Is there any advantage to partially covering the cowl slot forward of the nose gear? Would covering that partially have a positive or negative influence?

Dave, mine is covered with screws and a plate. It helps overall cooling on climb out. I?ll post a picture later.

Chad

I have a plate forward of the nose gear that has nutplates, screws on each side fo the slot hold it on.

I experimented with the plate in and out. If anything, plate out might provide a touch more engine cooling air exit area in the summer. Plate in I could not tell any TAS change.

I finally ended up with the plate out, but a short piece of 0.063 angle going across the slot new the aft end just to tie together the fiberglass on each sid of the slot.

Make the slot big enough so getting the bottom cowl off is not hard.

Carl

Sorry guys, I don't have any picture hosting service. I will be happy to email the picture to anyone wanting a picture of the nose gear opening cover plate. Just post here or PM me.

Chad

I was wondering more about the slot forward of the gear leg, if there is any benefit to partially cover that considering gear leg flex? In particular wondering if the opening forward does anything to the lower cowl pressure in inhibiting a flow out the rear of the cowl? Carl, sounds like you have found leaving the forward slot alone helps with cooling?

Last edited:
I was wondering more about the slot forward of the gear leg, if there is any benefit to partially cover that considering gear leg flex?
Just to make sure folks understand the difference from other Vans nose gear models-----(not sure about the 14) RV 10 leg does not "flex"----it pivots on the attachment points at the engine mount, and the entire leg moves up/down-------thus the slot to allow the motion.

rv7%20and%2010.jpg

Last edited:
Back