Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2018, 04:07 AM

I will be interested in how this turns out. 80 mils is no small amount and if you disassembled the center section, How are you going to rivet it back with the holes so far off? If the QB is actually off that much, I would want Van to replace it ASAP.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Vans reply

Well, their answer was to drill out the bottom front flange on the spar box, and then bolt the spar in so that it is pulled baaaaack into position. Check the holes and hope they haven't moved much or possibly upsize the holes to a -5 rivet and rivet the front lower flange back in place.

That's an easier fix than removing the whole spar box. It also appears that the left side is tight but doable. If the left will go in, we'll try Vans answer on the right side and see what happens.

It's aluminum so you can fix anything .... ... if you have to.

Bill

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 2/11/18 for 2018
Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 AM

With a tight fit, I found gently spraying each part with Corrosion X helped a lot.

A little lub is better than 2 dry surfaces.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!
Old 02-07-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Wow

This is a somewhat timely post for me. I will end up with a similar situation - slow build wings and a QB fuselage. I'm now getting ready to order the QB fuse. This post serves to remind me to attach a note to my order to REMIND Vans to use the proper spacers in the spar box....

As stated in an earlier post - I would most definitely be fumed if I found out they did not build this area of the QB fuse properly. I guess I would also like more info from the Vans response - did they state that this was the reason for the mismatch - that they probably did not use the spacers properly as they should have when they constructed the QB fuse?
EAA Chapter 301
CFII/MEI, ATP
SportAir Workshop Graduate x 4: Sheet Metal, RV Building, Electrical, and Composite classes.
Tail Wheel Endorsement Completed
Empennage done, Wings in progress, N462AK reserved.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Check it out ....

Now having seen this for the first time, I would suggest that you mike(mic?) your spars and then mike the spar box clearance when you get the fuse. That's the right time to think about what to do if they are off. At that point, you could send it back .... in theory.

If the fix turns out to be this easy, it wouldn't be worth the time to return it. Remember, you are building an experimental airplane and not everything will be perfect. I think Vans does way better than we have a right to expect so I don't think the small fix is a problem....key word is small

Just my .02

Bill

Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Default Update

Just an update .... this is our assessment and not that of an aero'engineerical type .... we dug up a digital micrometer and verified that the spar box was 60 thousandths too small to take the spar. Both spars measured out at 1.450 and the left box at 1.44 and the right box at 1.39, a full 60 thousandths too small. 60 is about the thickness of two thick plastic credit cards.

We tried various spreading techniques and the best we could get was another 10 which wasn't nearly enough. Vans recommended fix was to drill out the right 6-8 rivets on the front flange of the spar box and the lower 5 side rivets and then spread it open.

We started down that path and found that the flange on the right side had zero clearance to the lower longeron. That is probably why we couldn't spread it. The left side had at least 60 thou+ by eyeball. We suspect that this was done in assembly and that is why the box closed up. It took about 20 minutes to drill out the rivets and then we pried up the flange so that it would ride up over the lower longeron. Once that was done, we were able to easily spread the box to 1.470 and it was a done deal. Don't think we will even need to upsize the replacement rivets.

The long and the short and the narrow is that the right side spar box appears to have been assembled incorrectly but the fix was relatively painless.....(that said by the guy who didn't own the airplane )

Left Spar Box showing 1.45

Right Spar Box showing 1.39

This is the outside spar dimension on the standard micrometer with the internal set inside to show the physical difference between 1.45 and 1.39. The picture makes it look bigger than it was but it was easily two heavy credit card thicknesses.

Now note obvious gap between lower flange and lower longeron on left side.

Note there is zero clearance between the flange and the lower longeron on the right side. It actually popped as we pried it up before trying to spread the box again.

This is with the spar installed. Note how far the lower flange is pushed up over the lower longeron....looks like about 60 thousandths ...

So good call on Vans on the fix, poor quality control on assembly, but a relatively happy outcome. Some would say that's bad QC on Van's part but I am still amazed that the other 99% fits so well.... and it is experimental. It's all good!

Still got the Grin

Last edited by BillSchlatterer : 02-11-2018 at 08:23 PM.