- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2018, 05:33 PM

Default Alternator blast tube

I need advice on how to mount the cold air blast tube to the back of the PP alternator. I installed the 1" pickup for the blast tube in the right side cowl inlet during the build. Cannot figure out a way to attach it well to the back of the alternator.
Thanks.
Johan
Old 02-01-2018, 05:43 PM

Default alternator blast tube

Not needed on the new alternators. I sent email to Plane Power and their reply was, Not Needed. I did put blast tubes on Magnetos.
Working on Wiring
Only panel left to go.
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 02-01-2018, 05:52 PM

If you have a look at the back of the pp alternator there are two square holes, and behind these holes you will find a heat sink. Apparently this is what you want to be aiming your air at. I've seen examples of elaborate air boxes riveted over these holes with mounts for 3/4 or 1" hoses. As a more simple solution I thought you could also do the safety wire trick like you do on magnetoes, centering the wire between these two square holes and feeding it back up your 1" tube. Alternatively I have found that some of my 5/8 OD ribbed nylon tubing fits nicely in each of these holes (squashed out of round of course) so I am running two short lengths of this into a y connector then up to my baffle, with a small droop and drain hole to deal with any moisture that may enter. Around these round tubes in a square hole I'm sealing with some polyurethane sealant. I'd post some pictures, but my y connector hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't got it completed yet.
Tom.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:54 PM

Good to know Steve. It's still called out in my instructions from 3 years ago, however it does seem odd that they would dictate the use of blast tubes on something that they provide no provision for attachment.

Tom.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 AM

Default Simple Solution

I used a piece of the ribbed nylon tubing I had leftover. Yes, you want to direct the air to the heat sink, any place else is not effective. Sorry for the rotated picture, TinyPic feels this is the best way to display it. Bank your head to the left 90 degrees and it will look correct.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 02-02-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm View Post
I used a piece of the ribbed nylon tubing I had leftover. Yes, you want to direct the air to the heat sink, any place else is not effective. Sorry for the rotated picture, TinyPic feels this is the best way to display it. Bank your head to the left 90 degrees and it will look correct.
I did something similar, but glued a piece of the tubing on at a 90 angle about 2" from the end, then capped the end with a piece of rubber with a small drain hole. This provides an "inertial separator" when flying in rain; the air can make the sharp turn but the liquid water cannot; it gets stuck at the bottom and drains out the supplied hole.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
Good to know Steve. It's still called out in my instructions from 3 years ago, however it does seem odd that they would dictate the use of blast tubes on something that they provide no provision for attachment.

Tom.
I just received my new Plane Power alternator which was dropped shipped from Plane Power and it came with a bracket with a 90 degree fitting to attach the blast tube. Since I'll be replacing the same model alternator I'll re-attached the existing blast tube.

-Marc
Old 02-02-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm View Post

Jason,
Did you drill a hole in the side of the metal cover at the back of alternator to fit the blast tube?
Thanks.
Johan
Old 02-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
Jason,
Did you drill a hole in the side of the metal cover at the back of alternator to fit the blast tube?
Thanks.
Johan
I took the metal shroud off and removed (with a dremel) a small piece of metal separating the two square openings effectively creating one larger, rectangular opening. From there just compress the nylon tube a bit and it will fit in there nicely.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 02-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
I just received my new Plane Power alternator which was dropped shipped from Plane Power and it came with a bracket with a 90 degree fitting to attach the blast tube. Since I'll be replacing the same model alternator I'll re-attached the existing blast tube.

-Marc
Marc,
I looked at Plane Power website and no mention of the bracket you are referring to. It is somewhat strange that they will send a blast tube attachment if they say none is needed!! You know what size blast tube the bracket will take? Did you by any chance request the blast tube bracket?
Thanks.
Johan