Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2018, 11:05 PM

I generally use a tallboy aluminum can cut with a utility knife to crinkle under the filter, I used to also wedge a diaper under the can but with a little time and care the can alone works perfectly.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:16 AM

I prefer Super Clean for most degreasing in the engine compartment. WalMart carries it. Cleans and degreases better than anything else I have tried.
[IMG]61H7FjseOxL._SY679_ by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]
Then a water rinse and wipe down. For areas where I can't reach to wipe afterwards, I use Brake Cleaner to dry everything up. IMHO, those filter draining piercing tools are an expensive solution to a simple solution; using a quart size oil container with the side cut out. Read about it here long ago. I have tried the bag method with hit and miss results. When I use the oil container, I find it easy to just crack the oil filter loose, put a good size rag under the filter to catch any drips, position the oil container underneath the filter with one hand and remove the filter with the other. As soon as its disengaged with the threaded nipple I pull it far enough back to clear then tilt it up so minimum oil drains out. I then work the oil catch container out along with the filter at the same time. Any drips are absorbed by the rag. This worked great on my RV-10 with horizontal mounted filter. My RV-9A has the filter vertical but I will probably use the same method. I have a dedicated oil recycle container in the hanger, an empty 2-1/2 gallon Phillips C/X oil container with a large funnel in it. The oil catch and filter are placed to drain for several hours before I open the filter for inspection. The local auto parts stores like the larger container for emptying out and recycling the oil.

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
When I use the oil container, I find it easy to just crack the oil filter loose, put a good size rag under the filter to catch any drips, position the oil container underneath the filter with one hand and remove the filter with the other.
A baby diaper is the perfect "good size rag". Very absorbent!
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 175hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 AM

I use an old bath towel. Shove it up, in, and around all the nooks and crannies where the oil might drip or migrate to. Simple, cheap, and works great.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Default cleaning engine/airframe

Two related Qs:

1. I've been thinking of using my pressure washed to clean the engine and accessories. Any known reason this shouldn't work on a completely cold engine? I realize I'll need to dial back the pressure some.

2. Will Dawn dishwashing liquid harm unpainted airframe? thinking about using it to clean the oil off the belly, followed by a good water rinse.

Robert
Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Regular Go-Jo (not orange or pumice) does a fantastic job on belly grime and exhaust stains. No harm to paint, metal, fabric or hands.
Slop it on, go have a cup of coffee, come back and wipe it off.

George
Old 02-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaplerrh View Post
Will Dawn dishwashing liquid harm unpainted airframe? thinking about using it to clean the oil off the belly, followed by a good water rinse.
I've been using windex for the belly for quite a while. Recently I started adding about two tablespoons of Nuvite S to the bottle and shaking until it dissolves. That cleans the oil off and gives a light polish to the surface as it's wiped down.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Yup. If your filter is horizontal like mine is, it only drains about half way.
Folks, a fellow mechanic shared with me the easiest way to deal with the oil filter, if you have compressed air available.
1. punch hole near the back of the can on the upside.
2. Attach air blow tool to air hose (kind with rubber tip)
3. Adjust air pressure relatively low, say 40 psi
4. Hold rubber tip to hole you punched and apply air pressure
5. continue blowing air through the filter for approx 5 min
This will leave inside of filter dry, driving all oil back to crankcase, and has filter ready to cut after removal, with no mess.
Method works best with warm to hot oil.
Usual precautions about pressurized air...eye protection, hold nozzle tight to hole in filter, etc. First time I tried, could not believe how easy and effective this method is...especially for folks that can't wait over night for draining.
KCHD
RV-10 40866
Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
Folks, a fellow mechanic shared with me the easiest way to deal with the oil filter, if you have compressed air available.
1. punch hole near the back of the can on the upside.
2. Attach air blow tool to air hose (kind with rubber tip)
3. Adjust air pressure relatively low, say 40 psi
4. Hold rubber tip to hole you punched and apply air pressure
5. continue blowing air through the filter for approx 5 min
This will leave inside of filter dry, driving all oil back to crankcase, and has filter ready to cut after removal, with no mess.
Method works best with warm to hot oil.
Usual precautions about pressurized air...eye protection, hold nozzle tight to hole in filter, etc. First time I tried, could not believe how easy and effective this method is...especially for folks that can't wait over night for draining.
Great idea and a business opportunity for someone to create a re-usable fitting that could punch and thread into hole in the filter. Attach the hose and walk away for a few minutes...
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight November 20, 2016 - Phase One Complete June 1, 2017
Old 02-05-2018, 02:20 PM

Nothing trapped in the filter media follows that oil backwards into the engine, eh?

I know there usually is not hopefully much metal trapped, and any potentially cut-filter media inspection shocking findings or progrssive monitoring would likely not change detection or outcomes.

Clean idea, for someone who cares more about staying tidy outside than inside the engine.

What if you put a diaper in a bag under the filter where you punch an exit hole, then from a second hole above, pressurize the filter with just enough psi to more quickly drain the filter without overcoming the anti-drainback into the engine?

Faster than punching a few holes and letting the filter drain overnight. Just as tidy, assuming the diaper is easily disposed of properly.

Last edited by moosepileit : 02-05-2018 at 06:57 PM.