- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2018, 01:32 AM

Question Elevator electric trim servo

I have a T3-12A electric trim servo and spent this afternoon installing it.All was good till I cycled the servo.When I retracted it the leadscrew didn't line up with the 5/8 hole in the E-702 spar.I was confused thinking I mounted it incorrectly so do I make a hole in the spar to accommodate the leadscrew?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:21 PM

Can you post a picture? I am not clear on your description but the only thing coming through the rear spar would be the wires to the trim servo.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 01-29-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick RV7 View Post
I have a T3-12A electric trim servo and spent this afternoon installing it.All was good till I cycled the servo.When I retracted it the leadscrew didn't line up with the 5/8 hole in the E-702 spar.I was confused thinking I mounted it incorrectly so do I make a hole in the spar to accommodate the leadscrew?
Yes, the servo has a jack screw that extends out the back of the unit. It will extend and retract along with the actuator movement. You need to make sure there is a hole and sufficient clearance for this jack screw to go back and forth. I vaguely remember that the 7 has a hole pre-drilled for this, but I could be wrong. In any event, you want to make sure the hole is there and lines up.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 AM

Look at Drawing 4 in the lower right corner. You see a label ELECTRIC TRIM EXPLODED ISO VIEW, just to the left of that is a note. The note states "Route servo wires through snap bushing allowing travel for servo jack shaft."

When you mount the trim motor inside the elevator trim section that jack shaft should line up with the existing hole. If it doesn't something isn't quite right.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 AM

sometimes I would get confused with the drawings up and down ect, the wires go through the spar and the tinny threaded rod will go outside into the airstream pointed towards the trailing edge and attach to the trim tab.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahrens View Post
Look at Drawing 4 in the lower right corner. You see a label ELECTRIC TRIM EXPLODED ISO VIEW, just to the left of that is a note. The note states "Route servo wires through snap bushing allowing travel for servo jack shaft."

When you mount the trim motor inside the elevator trim section that jack shaft should line up with the existing hole. If it doesn't something isn't quite right.
+1 on this. Look at the close up drawing and read the instruction and you should be fine. The jack screw has to have a place to go when fully retracted.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Wire routing

I haven't finalized the route of the wiring yet, and instinctively don't like the suggested routing on the plans where the wires share the same hole as the jack screw. Has anyone else thought this and done something different or am I worrying about nothing as usual?
Building RV-7 #74424
Starting fuselage
Donated 2018
Old 01-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWW View Post
I haven't finalized the route of the wiring yet, and instinctively don't like the suggested routing on the plans where the wires share the same hole as the jack screw. Has anyone else thought this and done something different or am I worrying about nothing as usual?
Same here, I didn't like sharing the pass-through with the jack screw, so I put a new hole in the spar & snap bushing just inboard of existing jack screw hole. I centered it in the most outboard elevator horn "lightening hole", so I don't have any concerns personally with an additional hole since the horn acts as a big, strong doubler. This way my wiring is no where near the jack screw during any operation. I can dig up a picture when I get home if you like!

Last edited by BBaxR6 : 01-30-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Elevator horn, not rudder!
Old 01-31-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBaxR6 View Post
Same here, I didn't like sharing the pass-through with the jack screw, so I put a new hole in the spar & snap bushing just inboard of existing jack screw hole. I centered it in the most outboard elevator horn "lightening hole", so I don't have any concerns personally with an additional hole since the horn acts as a big, strong doubler. This way my wiring is no where near the jack screw during any operation. I can dig up a picture when I get home if you like!
I did the same...I was worried that jack screw would chafe the wiring.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2018
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Default Elevator wiring

If you click on the link below you will see this previous discussion from last year. If you go to the bottom of the second screen you will seem my input to that discussion plus the two links to my photographs

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=120307

Regards,

Gordon