Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
Not saying that there is anything wrong with putting vinyl directly onto aluminium but your first argument does not count for much as I am pretty confident that all airlines have at least sealing primer and probably also paint under the vinyl.

My current plan is to paint my ac white all over and then add some color with wrapping.
My point was if the airlines are using it in the jets, how are they inspecting below the vinyl? And you don’t see it peeling off at their speeds.

Putting vinyl over paint is theoretically better for corrosion control (it changes nothing) but on our size airplanes, by painting first you lose much of the advantages namely less weight, less costs, less chemicals, less labor.

Bevan.
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada

Last edited by Bevan : 01-17-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post

The airlines put vinyl on their jets do they not?
Not that I am aware of.
You tube is full of videos of refinishing / painting large air-carrier aircraft. All that I have ever seen are fully done with paint using stencils.

My opinion is that vinyl wouldn't hold up very will in that harsh environment and being exposed outside nearly 100% of the time.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM

There are more robust, specialized vinyl materials that I think the jets would be using, not your 1080 or equivalent versions which we (& automotive) wrappers use.
As for application, I decided to protect the aluminum with a light primer coat overall, & most definitely in areas where the vinyl is bridging a gap. The primer could be as simple as a rattle can application, pick your primer based on porosity and check adhesion quality as vinyl doesn’t stick to some brands.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM

This is not vinyl?

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Smile

Ok all thanks very much for your input had to ask as used to also paint light AC for a living at one time. Used lots of paint stripper and plastic scrapers was so much fun it burns any exposed skin so nice.
Oh yes and the RVs you people own and make like works of art are a sight to behold when seen on the ground. Again thanks for the input to an old flyer. Only got one ride in an RV, was at Prosser WA in the 6 the fellow uses for check rides. Boyd in Chiloquin under the RV highway.