VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 AM

Default Wrapping an aircraft

Have a question that I posted but got no replies about on the RV7 forum.
Have been around, worked on and inspected aircraft years back that were both painted and unpainted how can you inspect them for loose rivets and cracks? Have seen pictures posted on here of skin cracks and rivet problems.

Just asking as once wrapped one cannot see either item they do look great. Also there was a problem with corrosion noted under some wrap that had been removed according to another thread.

Thanks for reading Boyd in Chiloquin.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 PM

You could maybe look up member Ralph Inkster and ask him. He just wrapped a 7 that he's been repairing after a hangar fell on it. It looks great, you really have to look close to see that it isn't paint. I asked Ralph about the impact on inspection and service, but he didn't seem concerned about it. I've seen numerous helicopters with wraps, and nothing is more service/inspection intensive than helis. For the price, you could probably peel it all off for an inspection every few years. I'm certainly considering it after seeing Ralph's
Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 PM

Actually a wrapped rudder might keep it from cracking.......
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 AM

There’s probably not a wrapped AB airplane with enough time to develop corrosion but here’s my thoughts in random order.

The airlines put vinyl on their jets do they not?

I have one flush screw that I suspect is slightly loose where the vinyl has identified it by cracking all the way around the screw.

The vinyl is very tight allowing little room for moisture to collect and is very tight. Remember, this new vinyl goes on dry, unlike former products. I think I could see an imperfection (corrosion) below it.

Our airplanes spend a lot of time in hangars. Things might be different if exposed to the elements every day.

If in doubt, peel some off, have a look, replace. Try that with paint.

Not perfect but still better than paint in my opinion. 2.5 years and 165 hrs.

Bevan.

Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 01-17-2018, 04:09 AM

Bevan,
Nice looking job. What parts did you paint? Was matching the paint color to the film any problem?

Last edited by wilddog : 01-17-2018 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 AM

Not saying that there is anything wrong with putting vinyl directly onto aluminium but your first argument does not count for much as I am pretty confident that all airlines have at least sealing primer and probably also paint under the vinyl.

My current plan is to paint my ac white all over and then add some color with wrapping.
RV-14 kit #140138
working on FW forward and finish kit
wings, tail kit and fuselage basically done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 AM

Where does one buy wrapping?
I have not seen any advertisements
Thanks
Dave
Old 01-17-2018, 06:41 AM

I have ordered samples from Fellers.com and will most likely order from them. They have a location nearby and I will be taking my painted spinner there to see if they can match the color.
On another note for whoever has already wrapped.......did you use Tinnerman washers under any exposed screws so they don't spin the vinyl when installed? Thinking about the wing tips but sure there are other spots on the plane as well.
Mattituck TMXIO-360 red gold
Dues paid Dec 17
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwranda View Post
I have ordered samples from Fellers.com and will most likely order from them. They have a location nearby and I will be taking my painted spinner there to see if they can match the color.
On another note for whoever has already wrapped.......did you use Tinnerman washers under any exposed screws so they don't spin the vinyl when installed? Thinking about the wing tips but sure there are other spots on the plane as well.
I used https://www.metrorestyling.com

I had the paint shop match my yellow vinyl. Turned out well.

And yes to tinnerman washers over all the vinyl
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
Not saying that there is anything wrong with putting vinyl directly onto aluminium but your first argument does not count for much as I am pretty confident that all airlines have at least sealing primer and probably also paint under the vinyl.

My current plan is to paint my ac white all over and then add some color with wrapping.
This might be the best of both worlds. Still could do that some day I donít want polished...