Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Default Wing Don't Fit

Hi guys,

I’m sure I’m not the first. I can’t seem to get my wing pins in. They’re not tight, they just plain don’t fit. After some investigation and fiddling around, I thought it might be because my kit came with oversized rear stub spars, 1207B-25. I was unaware of the difference and installed them. No problem, I figured I just file to fit when I installed the wing. However after taking a little material off the circumference , I’m not convinced this is the issue. The wings seems to “bottom out” in the vicinity of the main spar. With the wing in as far as it will go, I can "wobble" the wing fore and aft, pivoting around the main spar. I certainly don’t what to take too much off the stub spar and risk replacing. Skins are not in contact with anything nor can I see any other interference.

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM

are you trying both wings at the same time ? if so try just one and verify that you can get that in. Also the white nylon blocks can be installed in a way that prevents the wing seating properly, check that out as well.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 PM

I fought that on mine, finally found out it was the upper spar to fuselage lack of clearance. It is hard to see the interference when you are outside, it is the inner skin that needed to be cut out a bit. Very baffling.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Have you checked the spar pinhole to see where the misalignment is? My wing skins had to be trimmed about 1/8 to get mine all the way in.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:58 PM

I assume the pins fit through all bushings prior to wing assembly. I experienced difficulties on my first wing install attempt. Work slowly and carefully to observe where the problem is. For me, the first issue was the slots in the side skins. After checking and measuring, I needed to open the top about 1/4 of an inch, and file a little from the front of the slot to clear a couple of slightly proud rivet heads on the spar. That let the wing slide almost home. Then I found the small nylon block an the opposite side was pushing the spar slightly downwards, forcing the pin holes into misalignment. Removed the blocks, touched them up on a scotchbrite wheel a little at a time until everything lined up. Once you have eliminated the points of interference, the pins will push in easily.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
DaveH
Old 01-13-2018, 08:15 PM

I initially had a problem with mine and it turned out I had one of the black rollers the wings slide in on backwards. Sometj=hing to check ...
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project; ready for engine & avionics
Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Thanks guys, here is what i've done/know based on your suggestions:

-The rollers are correct
-I checked for clearance of the inner support bracket - it clears
-Skins clear, but I will have to trim when I put on the seal.
-The pins insert fine without the wings inserted.
-Slot clearance is OK top, bottom and sides, all rivets clear

There is a definite "clunk" when I forcefully push the wing in, indicating something solid...possible aft stub spar?

Both wings have issue although very slightly better on right one...again, stub spar?

If it works, here is pic of the amount of misalignment.

Last edited by Tacco : 01-13-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Tacco - I had a similar experience which turned out to be mainly caused by the added F-1270A & F1270D doublers on the outside of the fuselage interfering with the inboard edge of the bottom wing skin. Of course one can't see this unless you have a friend hold the wing in position while your taking a good look from underneath.

Also remember removing just a little material from one of the F-1204R retainer blocks and the lower edge of a F-1204H bulkhead cap so the spar would clear nicely.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018

Last edited by John-G : 01-14-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:12 PM

Smile Wing Fit,NOT

The fwd wing tabs that I installed were on the wrong wing. There is a left and a right. I had to remove 600 rivets and open up the inboard and center upper wing skins. I ordered new forward spars (3 ft long) very cheap from Vans. Grind down a drift pin to drive in the center rivet pin so the drill won't catch and cause the drill to go off center. The wings now go in without any problems
Old 01-15-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacco View Post
Thanks guys, here is what i've done/know based on your suggestions:

-The rollers are correct
-I checked for clearance of the inner support bracket - it clears
-Skins clear, but I will have to trim when I put on the seal.
-The pins insert fine without the wings inserted.
-Slot clearance is OK top, bottom and sides, all rivets clear

There is a definite "clunk" when I forcefully push the wing in, indicating something solid...possible aft stub spar?

Both wings have issue although very slightly better on right one...again, stub spar?

If it works, here is pic of the amount of misalignment.

I don't see "grease the pins" - The KIA says to grease the pins (pg 30-03) After filing the skins, making sure there was no interference from anything my pins wouldn't go in until I greased them.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.