- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieL View Post
If you have wifi in your hangar, you can use a "Wemo Smart Plug" Very simple and inexpensive. I think the one I have is called the Wemo mini, cost about $29 at Homer Depot. I've only been using it a couple of months, but seems to be working fine. I can turn it on and off remotely via cell phone.
If you don't have Wi-Fi, one option is to put a Wi-Fi hotspot in the hangar and add it to your cellular plan. Bruce discusses this in great detail in his post below (Thanks Bruce!). I did it also and it has worked well for the second season now. I routinely turn on the engine preheater before I leave the house. Note that once in awhile the Wemo Insight Smart Plug gets wonky and won't connect to the Wi-Fi. There are solutions for that (e.g., set the Wi-Fi hotspot bandwidth to 20 MHz instead of 40 MHz).

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...96&postcount=1
(Pic)
- Out with the Old, In with the New (Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours
(Pic 1), (Pic 2), (Pic 3) - Sold
Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 01-13-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
So the SIM card would just plug into the Switchbox device as if it were a cell phone?
Yup, 100% correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
Those Chinese GSM switches are just junk. I had lots of problems with them. As we know the times we'll be flying I ordered a digital timer that I'll program to start the heater when we expect to fly. WiFi would be a better choice and I may go to that later, but for now this seems like a better alternative.
I've used these 2G/4G GSM switches since 2010 and I have yet to have one let me down even once.
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 PM

I do have 2G unit that works on T-Mobile that I not using due to no T-Mobile reception in my area.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Is this a switch that would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Wirel...l+phone+switch

The heater I have once turned off, the on switch needs to be pushed to get it to restart. I know I would have to get a different heater but it would still be nice to control it with a cell call.

Edit: thanks for the info Mike. I thought maybe walmart phone or T Mobil may work. That does explain the price!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection

Last edited by rockwoodrv9 : 01-13-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Is this a switch that would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Wirel...l+phone+switch

The heater I have once turned off, the on switch needs to be pushed to get it to restart. I know I would have to get a different heater but it would still be nice to control it with a cell call.
That switch would work if you could find a provider that still had 2G GSM service. I don't know of any...ATT and TMobile are both 4G. I learned that the hard way when my older heater relay wouldn't work this year. I think most carriers have abandoned the 2G band. That's probably why the switchbox is only $50.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullojm1 View Post
That switch would work if you could find a provider that still had 2G GSM service. I don't know of any...ATT and TMobile are both 4G. I learned that the hard way when my older heater relay wouldn't work this year. I think most carriers have abandoned the 2G band. That's probably why the switchbox is only $50.
T-Mobile still support 2G GSM. Talk is they will support it through 2019.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
T-Mobile still support 2G GSM. Talk is they will support it through 2019.
T-Mobile's 2G network doesn't work at my home airport or my home. I popped a SIM card in my 2G GSM Switch box and it doesn't even pick up a signal. Same SIM card in a new 4G box and it worked flawlessly. T-Mobile 2G worked just fine 2 years ago.

Point is, if you are investing in a new switchbox, make sure it is 4G. The 2/3G models may or may not work, and they definitely have a short lifespan.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 PM

So I went and researched this all out this afternoon. Yeah, the $300 switch box would work apparently, but I'd still have to get a AT&T prepaid Mobile Hotspot box for another $60, and then purchase their 1 gig plan for another $25, plus pay whatever for a monthly fee. ( Mike bullojm1) mentioned the T Mobile sim for some $10 per month or so.

All the others, Wemo etc, require a WiFi at the hangar which I don't have. Long story short, if I still lived in Milwaukee, yeah--do it. But I now live in Atlanta, in a hangar---and thus I'd need this about 4 to 6 times a year in January and February. I'm thinking, it's not worth the money anymore. I've got a "many amps heater" with a fan in it, and then one of those big silver colored heat duct tubes (like your furnace uses)---shove that up the back end air vent exit, by the exhaust pipes and wait. Can't remember from last year if it took a half hour or a full hour.

Ho Hum---woulda been nice.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
So I went and researched this all out this afternoon. Yeah, the $300 switch box would work apparently, but I'd still have to get a AT&T prepaid Mobile Hotspot box for another $60, and then purchase their 1 gig plan for another $25, plus pay whatever for a monthly fee. ( Mike bullojm1) mentioned the T Mobile sim for some $10 per month or so.

All the others, Wemo etc, require a WiFi at the hangar which I don't have. Long story short, if I still lived in Milwaukee, yeah--do it. But I now live in Atlanta, in a hangar---and thus I'd need this about 4 to 6 times a year in January and February. I'm thinking, it's not worth the money anymore. I've got a "many amps heater" with a fan in it, and then one of those big silver colored heat duct tubes (like your furnace uses)---shove that up the back end air vent exit, by the exhaust pipes and wait. Can't remember from last year if it took a half hour or a full hour.

Ho Hum---woulda been nice.
Why do you need the $60 mobile hot spot box? I have the $300 switchbox and I don't have the hot spot box.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
Why do you need the $60 mobile hot spot box? I have the $300 switchbox and I don't have the hot spot box.

Gregg, Educate me if you would please. Best Buy and AT&T said I needed it---to transmit the cell signal to the switchbox?? If I don't need it Fantastic. Can you explain it here in detail, not only for me, but for all the others watching too?