- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 PM

Default Partain - yes

I've had the best service from Partain also. My experience goes back a few years so I can't vouch for the present.

Truck loads your kit at Van's back door and delivers it to your garage/airport - whatever. The driver knows how to handle the kit and how to tie it down - ie, 'up' stays up on the boxes. No forklift on/offs are involved. Very happy to recommend Partain. Only problem is if you want it yesterday or this week, Partain might not be able to accommodate your wishes. In that case, you are rolling the dice in my opinion with any of the shipping companies. Hope that this helps.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Default Update

As the original poster, I thought folks might be interested in the outcome.
After receiving the damaged part, Van's sent out another replacement, but this time they sandwiched the skin between two sheets of plywood, and secured it so it could not slide around. It arrived in perfect condition. Kudos to Van's for making it so easy on us builders when there is a problem with shipping, and also for taking extraordinary steps to ensure the part arrives undamaged; no easy feat given how poorly our parts are handled by the freight companies. This has put me 2-3 weeks behind where I would have been, but at least I'm making progress again.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:00 PM

I just got my 14A fuselage kit from FedEx earlier this week. Zero damage on the exterior (though a few footprints on top...), and no obvious damage on the interior. (I've unpacked all of the subkits out of the crate, but not opened them.)

Empennage kit came the same way to the same address, though that was through Old Dominion. No issues.

Then again, it only had to go ~250 miles to get to me from the factory...
Old 01-31-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Add me to the list

I still have a few things to prepare in the shop but was disappointed when my RV-14 tail came damaged. I refused the shipment and will restart in another two weeks. I am hoping parts aren't bent back and resent. I will consider paying for a private carrier instead of FedEx freight in the future.

-Jason

Last edited by mountainride : 01-31-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Shipping damage

Tony Partain is really good. I was pleased.
RV9A Bill
Old 01-31-2018, 11:54 AM

Default PLUS 1 for Tony Partain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV9A Bill View Post
Tony Partain is really good. I was pleased.
RV9A Bill
Use Tony Partain....plus you get to see what else he's shipping on his curiously HUGE trailer! Your stuff WILL arrive undamaged! and in my experience, rates are competitive.

Note: You may have to ask for a few of your friends to help unload unless you have a fork lift. He doesn't travel with one...but then most of this aircraft stuff is light.
Slow build --- ALL THE WAY
Victim of SB-632-B
VAF 2018 Sent
Old 01-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Sorry to hear that Jason, just a minor setback. Did you get in touch with Jeff up there?
Ryan

RV-7 (in progress)
N-8251F
'17 Dues paid
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM

Hi Jason,
The one thing I have learned regarding damaged shipments is that Van's has the claim/replacement process down cold. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if damaged freight claims are a serious secondary revenue source for them.
In the future I recommend not rejecting the shipment. Simply do your normal, thorough inventory and document the damage with photos. Van's makes it extremely easy to deal with damage because all you have to do is tell them which parts were damaged (email them photos of the damaged parts) and they take care of the rest. They make a claim against the shipper and IMMEDIATELY have a new shipment of replacement parts sent out. You don't have to do anything except keep the damaged parts available for the shipper to examine if they want to see them. Of all the damaged parts I have received, so far the shipper has never asked to see them.
I hate the fact that the shippers used for my kits and parts have been so ham-fisted, but I love that Van's makes replacing them as pain free as possible.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM

Default refused

Thanks for the advice! Van's was great on the phone and I expect the issue will be resolved. In this case as I wasn't planning on anything but inventory for the next 2 weeks anyways so its NBD. I don't quite have enough experience to know what to look for in damaged packaging and will let Van's handle the legwork.

-Jason
Old 01-31-2018, 03:09 PM

Just what I needed to read today as my emp kit was shipped this morning!
One excited soon to be brand new builder