Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Ross - w.r.t. LCD display backlight colours, take a look at human eye response to colours as we transition from day to night vision.

First colour to go is red, then we lose everything in and around the red wavelength.

Of the choices available, blue is the colour we see best at night, thus would be the colour requiring the deepest dimming capability.

For this reason white backlighting might be the best compromise between ability to see the display and ability to dim it so it's not sticking out like a sore thumb in the cockpit at night.
And it's also the most difficult color to focus on at night.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 11-08-2017, 05:26 AM

It's interesting to note that cars commonly use white, green, red or blue dash lighting these days and do lots of human interface studies yet seem to have no clear concensus here.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 420 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 11-08-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Lets also keep firmly in mind that this is an ignition display, not a PFD.

Of all the sources of information on our panels, this display should be the last thing you focus on in a critical phase of flight. Thinking back through all the displays I've seen in aircraft panels, there's a whole rainbow of color: TruTrak is blue (was green), Garmin was amber (now white), King was red... As Ross points out, there does not seem to be a consensus.

IMHO, the human factors analysis should be limited to making sure it is not overtly distracting, and call it good.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson

Last edited by Toobuilder : 11-08-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
I'm do that right now; the prop's off, and just got the SDS today!
I can attest to Chairman Maus having his SDS and tinkering with it as I saw it yesterday and I'm in the I want one camp for sure.

But, I would really like to see the new controller. Can we get some new controller head pics please.....? Even is just mock up casing? Please?
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 11-24-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Panel controller should be remote from ignition modules.

I think the best setup would be a very compact panel display remoted from the ignition controller(s). It could parallel adjust two ignition control units without loss of redundancy, and could be designed to take very little panel surface space and almost no behind panel space. Ihope this is being considered.
Frmr Test Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2018 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"
Old 12-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Update on the CPI2. After looking at the space available on the rear of the single piece design for all the connectors required and how to route all those traces aft on a narrow board, we decided to divide the panel display and the main board into 2 separate units. This will allow for more flexible mounting and make our design job much easier. I know many people were in favor of that layout anyway.

At this time, the panel display face is an octagonal with the major dimensions at 2.8 X 2.8 inches. Mounting screws penetrate the short 45 degree corners.

The display is a 12 X 2 LCD and we've done some cold temp and sunlight readability testing with white characters on a blue display which seems quite good overall. We want to do further testing on that one before we go ahead with it though.

We've also designed the backup battery tray which will be prototyped soon.

We're working through various software challenges but the display and surrogate keypad is working at about 98% so far. A few more minor things to solve then we'll be on to a prototype PCB after that. A couple new features will likely soak up a few weeks there before that can be produced and start full testing on the bench and our shop O-200 engine.

Fortunately the FF hardware and actual coil control software is all pretty much the same as before so that won't take any extra time.

There's not much to show so far except for 2 big breadboards and a sub board with a jungle of wires emanating outwards, connecting them. I'll be sure to post photos and videos when we get into the proto and testing stages.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 420 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Old 12-07-2017, 07:07 PM

Good to know Ross. Thanks. I've been thinking of pinging you guys on this thread, but decided maybe best just to letcha-all work. I doubt I'm not the only one kinda biting their lower lip in anticipation.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Default SDS CPI2

Ross,

I like the concept of a separate display unit. Is it going to be possible to operate the new CPI2 in normal operation without having the display connected?

For those of us that don't plan to experiment in flight (or minimally experiment) it would be nice if the initial setup/configuration operations could be done with the display on an extender cable and eliminate the need to find a dedicated home for the display on the instrument panel.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Ross,

I like the concept of a separate display unit. Is it going to be possible to operate the new CPI2 in normal operation without having the display connected?

For those of us that don't plan to experiment in flight (or minimally experiment) it would be nice if the initial setup/configuration operations could be done with the display on an extender cable and eliminate the need to find a dedicated home for the display on the instrument panel.
At this time, all development has been done with a single DB9 serial cable connecting the panel display to the control board. Same cables we use on the EM-5 ECUs.

We will try to make a completely blind version as well for those who don't want or need the panel display. You would not have any information about backup power switching, faults etc. though.

Welcome any other input in that vein while we are still in the design and initial software stage.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 AM

Ross,

Can you tell us about your overvoltage protection circuit?

I will be starting my SDS CPI2 firewall forward install during my condition inspection. Looking forward to the release of the CPI2 modules.

Thank you