VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Default Capacity check of pc680

Can anyone tell me how to capacity check a PC680 battery? I have used a Concorde BC5000 battery cap checker but it gives results which are unlikely to be accurate since all the batteries I have tested using 16AH's as the setting show around 40% capacity and only 68% on a brand new battery.
Any ideas?

Last edited by PIN 37 : 08-26-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 PM

Not enough data. Especially for those if us who don't have the Concorde cap checker.

You need to look at the load applied by the Concorde, then compare your results to the discharge curves on the PC680 spec sheet.

Remember, a 16AH SLA battery only has 16 AH of capacity when discharged at the '20 hour' rate of discharge (meaning that the 16 AH of capacity is spread over 20 hours of discharge).

Charlie
Old 08-26-2016, 08:27 PM

Default CBA IV

I used a CBA 4 from West Mountain Radio and a Win 7 laptop to check mine. You can set the test up however you want to do it. I chose a discharge rate that matches what I would be pulling from the battery with the alternator dead and everything shut down that I didn't need. In my case, that's about 4.5 amps. I ran the test down to 10.5 volts which is conservative considering that my electronic ignition claims to run down to 5 volts. It ran for 2.75 hours and delivered just over 12 ah. At a higher amp draw, you can probably count on fewer amp hours delivered.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIN 37 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to capacity check a PC680 battery? I have used a Concorde BC5000 battery cap checker but it gives results which are unlikely to be accurate since all the batteries I have tested using 16AH's as the setting show around 40% capacity and only 68% on a brad new battery.
Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
I used a CBA 4 from West Mountain Radio and a Win 7 laptop to check mine. You can set the test up however you want to do it. I chose a discharge rate that matches what I would be pulling from the battery with the alternator dead and everything shut down that I didn't need. In my case, that's about 4.5 amps. I ran the test down to 10.5 volts which is conservative considering that my electronic ignition claims to run down to 5 volts. It ran for 2.75 hours and delivered just over 12 ah. At a higher amp draw, you can probably count on fewer amp hours delivered.

Ed Holyoke
Most lead-based batteries have an inverse relationship between amp draw and ah capacity. The higher the draw the lower the ah capacity. This is why manufacturer list a 20 hour ah rating; It looks better. Good companies will also list a 1 hour ah rating to help the consumer better understand the range of capacity in different conditions.

Larry
Old 08-26-2016, 09:53 PM

Default Go to the source

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...M-002_1214.pdf

Back out one page from here for more technical info.

Tim Andres
Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 AM

Smile

Simple, and cheap.

Using the data sheet of the previous post -

Buy a 12 volt 50 watt bulb such as this one at Home Depot or your favorite hardware store -

http://www.homedepot.com/p/50-Watt-H...9333/203001458

Use clip leads to connect the bulb to the charged battery and measure the battery voltage. Note the start time.

Wait until the battery voltage falls to 10 volts and note the time again.

A up-to-spec battery will last 3.5 hours per the data sheet. A shorter time is a loss of capacity.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 08-27-2016, 01:43 AM

When I was doing a lot of glider flying, it was important each season to start out with the firm knowledge of what the state of your ship's batteries were.

I found a test scheme by a fellow glider pilot out of Chicago to be cheap, accurate and effective and see no reason why it wouldn't work as easily on the PC-680 as it did the ones used in our gliders.

Two ways of getting to the test protocol, you can go here:

http://aviation.derosaweb.net

And scroll about 1/2 down the page to "Testing Batteries" or a direct link to the XL spreadsheet is found here:

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/batter...g_Template.xls
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
Old 08-27-2016, 04:29 AM

Default Here's a project you can build

Odyssey has a pretty good technical manual at http://www.odysseybatteries.com/docs...m-002_1014.pdf and http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/battest.pdf is a pretty easy project to build.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

You might get some good info from this thread about the Odyssey battery.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=108220

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-27-2016, 06:59 PM

Thanks for you input folks, as usual a most helpful group. It would appear that our problem was that we were using 16ah as our base of testing (printed on the label of the battery ) instead of 12.3ah as on the graph of the 680 battery ( from Odyssey ) on one of the links suggested. Interestingly on another Odyssey publication ( googled) the rating for a PC680 battery for aviation use is quoted at 12.7ah, hmmm, a little confusing but we will test using both figures and see what we get. I wonder why the label on the top of the battery says 16ah