VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-30-2015, 02:10 PM

Default Safe air tanks

Thanks everybody for the input. Helped alot. Looks to me like the aeroled vx landing lights will either just fit or not. Did anyone install vx landing lights with the er tanks and did it fit?

Regards
Old 05-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Default VX lights

Search the forum. I know of at least one guy that installed them in the -10 with the safe air tanks. He said that they just fit and it took a substantial amount of work to fit them. You have to cut a section out of the tip and install an "adapter" to make them fit even without the tanks. Apparently, they were not designed for the -10 wingtips...

Too bad, they are REALLY nice lights!

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Default A nearby builder friend is doing tip tanks

and his mention of this got me thinking along the same lines as the discussion here - mission profile, cost and complexity, added value, safety of deviating from Van's fuel system design, polar moment of inertia in spins, stress, CG - all of it.

I'm not yet rated for IFR but hope to be someday - older, less moneyed and more intimidated pilots than myself have conquered the rating. The comments about IFR reserves to alternates being very tight on 60 gallons are thought-provoking. I've always fancied my RV-10 as purpose-built for one primary mission - getting me and family/friends to the Outer Banks and back (1:40 each way) on sunny clear days - and 60 gallons at 10.5 gph LOP seemed plenty adequate for the task using only my own fuel farm for resupply. But the truth is there will always be longer trips and unforeseen destinations calling, and I want to be sure my thinking is sufficiently future-proof. Life does change.

I'm about finished with installation of piano hinge in both wingtips for mounting - wanted that slick, no-screws look, and to avoid the frequent use of EZ-outs on stripped #6 Phillips screws, as is common necessity anymore on my per-plans 6A wingtips. That gets old so fast. Now here I am pondering the addition of tip tanks at a stage when I probably just made it a lot more difficult, although part of that bridge was crossed when the previous builder riveted on the leading edges of my partially built wings!

Long ago I fabbed baggage-area fuel tanks for my RANS S-12 using a fuel-proof resin and fiberglass, and they worked well (the standard polyethylene roto-molded wing tanks were famous for leaking). I'm not seeing a SafeAir website anymore - perhaps they have closed their doors? Anyway, musing here about making the tips themselves into tanks with proper application of fuel-proof resin and installation of baffles and fittings, fill cap.

Anyone done this? The nav light lens could double as a sight-glass fuel gauge Okay, not serious there. Not planning any wingtip antennas, though. Also curious if a Facet fuel pump in series with a tip tank supply line to the main tank would prevent downhill fuel transfer from tip to main tank when not powered on.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 01-25-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Safe Air tanks

I am pretty sure you can still use the safe air tanks if you wanted to. Shouldn't be an issue with the hinges. You will have to probably remove the main tanks to add the bung that the ER tanks connect to.

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-25-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
Jim, fuel expands a lot as it is warmed. If you're full and the day gets hotter with the airplane sitting there, any fuel that spills out of the vents will run toward the cockpit....dangerous.

Best,
Not to mention the fumes themselves. Even if no liquid gets there, the vapor will. Minor arc from strobes powering up, or a loose wire on the transfer pump, etc. Any fumes outside the plane will almost certainly be too lean a mixture to light off, but inside the wing...
Old 01-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Hey Bill,

Just because the leading edges are riveted doesn't mean you are out of options. PM me if you want to discuss.

Charlie
Old 01-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Still available?

I can't find Safe air online - links here to them are broken, I believe.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM

Default Ditto

....on the link to the tanks
Exempt but paid
Old 01-25-2018, 06:12 PM

Default H/W ER Tanks

Search for "Hotel Whiskey Aviation". They build the ER tanks that SafeAir1 used to market.
They'll take care of you!
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor

Last edited by Mel : 01-25-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Default Thank you, Mel.

Interesting web site. Looks like quite a job, but probably much simpler than converting the tips into fiberglass tanks themselves.

Looks like $3000 is the shipped price to beat, and 15# for all-up weight. That would buy a LOT of fiberglass resin and cloth! Not sure I should undertake this at any point in time unless I possess DanH or Mike Arnold-level skills, but like I said, I scratch-built composite tanks for my very first experimental that as far as I know are still in service 20 years later. Closing up the factory -10 wingtips to make ER tanks might be an attempt I'd regret, and might not. I can always abandon the effort in place if not happy with the outcome.

I'd welcome any speculation as to whether this seems like a good idea.