VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-18-2014, 03:15 PM

What ECU are you using? Nice work by the way!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 AM

Default Megasquirt II Fuel Injection

I'm using a do it yourself fuel injection computer called Megasquirt II . I purchased it as a kit and then soldered all the compnets to a circuit board provided in the kit and then down loaded the driver software from their web site and then programed it to suit my motor.
The Megasquirt II also controls the ignition timing which is all adjustable by the user.
This system is very adjustable for manifolds pressures, rpm, spark advance, etc.
When I fly there is nothing to do but fly, the manifold pressure sensor adjust the volume of fuel as the manifold pressure changes. There for it is great for turbo charging.
Do not think that I'm some sort of brainy dude, I had to learn all this by reading all about it and carefully reading the directions that are on the Megasquirt site. I started out by knowing nothing just like when I started building my aircraft, in fact the Rep. at Van's sugested that I get some builders assistance because I did not even know what a cleco was. I never did get assistance, I learned by reading Van's directions in their builders manual and by looking at other builders wed sites..
294 hours and counting
Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 AM

WOW Robin...just amazing! Congrats young man!
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Cool project. Congrats on building all that and making it work! I used to own Corvairs and build engines for them- turbos and road racing ones so I have a soft spot for them. Nice to see one in an RV.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 420 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 AM

Default Re-Corvair Engine

Thank you all for the kind coments. Here is a youtube video of the engine running with the current propeller drive hub, the first one failed but this one has been working great.
http://youtu.be/Mwx8zfeifGQ
294 hours and counting
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM

That's just too cool. It's hard to keep from looking for a Lear Jet in the background when the sound's up while viewing the video. :-)

Way to go!

Charlie
Mazda Renesis FWF in progress on RV-7
Old 02-01-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV3bpilot View Post
[snip..]
Do not think that I'm some sort of brainy dude, I had to learn all this by reading all about it and carefully reading the directions that are on the Megasquirt site.
There's a lot of different kinds of smarts... I respect that kind most.

Built/Own RV-4 254MM
Owned RV-6 4074V
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM

What a beautiful airplane and the firewall forward is just off the charts. Kudos for a beautiful project.
Congratulations to you!
VAF Paid 1/10/2018

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 02-10-2018, 09:40 PM

Default Corvair Power Now!

Robin: Fabulous job on the installation and final tweaking to make it a "turn the key and fly" a/c! If i remember right, you used to have a GM ECO engine in it didn't you, with the less than sexy looking cowling. Why did you do it again after getting that one flying? Also, what performance differences have you seen between the two installations? Is it harder to make some heat for the cabin with air-cooling vs. water?

Great job, and fly safe!

Doug
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM

Default Simply Superb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV3bpilot View Post
I had to make my own motor mount and a lot of other stuff to make it fit.
It is direct drive per my homemade parts. The drive hub has a bearing as same as a Lycoming for stability of the prop. and it has a thrust bearing to keep the prop from pulling on the crank.
It is a Catto prop. 66" long 60" pitch counter rotation. It was damaged on my second forced landing so I repaired it using vacuum bagging process and it is working great.
So far I have 112.2 hours on it.
Here are a few pictures of the installation of the motor. Yes it has fuel injection too.
I use Mobil one synthetic oil in it 10-30wt.
The crankshaft is made by Corvair Specialties, it is 4340 steel billet that have been line-bored, undercut pendulums, knife- edge machined, and partially drilled rod journals, all to keep the weight down to a mere 2oz. heavier than the original crankshaft. The crankshafts have also been heat treated, shot peened, nitrided, and micro-polished.
Robin,
First, very nicely done!
Question: Did you consider the 5th bearing mod from Dan Weseman at Panther SPA and/or attend any of William Wynne's Corvair U forums before developing your engine?

https://flywithspa.com/corvair-5th-bearing/

V/R
Smokey

PS:My own auto engine adventure included flying my VW powered Sonerai for over a year, enjoying every second.

Last edited by smokyray : 02-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.