Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM

For the short bits, the drill indexes just like Mickey.
For the half dozen longer bits I have a foot long chunk of 4X4 that I drilled appropriate holes in that I just stick the bits in to hold them.
I mostly use the longer bits and only use the short bits when I need a specific size other than the regular ones.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 02-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Our hobby shop (not the hangar) has a labeled bench top index similar to this one. We also have a set of stubby machinists drills, on the lower end of the scale, which is in a piece of wood with Sharpie labeling. Drills that are suspected of 'not being drills' are turned upside down, so we can order new ones. There are also a full set of numbered drills in a more conventional index in another cabinet, as well as the metric and left handed sets.
RV-6A bought flying
Old 02-13-2018, 07:18 PM

I have a box with small bits, another with medium size bits and a tray with large bits all side by side in the top of my box. Sitting next to them is a pair of digital calipers.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 02-13-2018, 07:25 PM

I took a 2x4 about 18" long and drilled a bunch of holes. Then with a felt pen, I wrote the size number next to the hole. Looks like ****, but it does work. I do have the drill hole sizer that Gil posted to check any (most) drill bits I leave around.
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM

Default HF Mag tool (Drill bit holder)

i use three of these magnetic tool holders from HF. I have them mounted vertically beside the drill press. Drill bits up to 3/8" stay in place on the mag holder quite well. With 3 holders, I sort the bits by small, medium, large sizes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...der-61199.html

Dave
Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
I took a 2x4 about 18" long and drilled a bunch of holes. Then with a felt pen, I wrote the size number next to the hole. Looks like ****, but it does work. I do have the drill hole sizer that Gil posted to check any (most) drill bits I leave around.
I did something similar - a 3" x 5" block of MDF that I made a grid and used the actual size holes for the most used bits. It happened to be white melamine so easy to read the notes. I also keep the long bits, extras, and pin punches in the same block. A drill index holds the full sets of fractional and numbered HSS bits. Also noted the key clearance drills for #6 #8 #10. Sizes #40 up to 1/4", including a couple of one hole countersinks, but just the ones we use for the build.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18

Last edited by BillL : 02-14-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblueh2o View Post
For the short bits, the drill indexes just like Mickey.
For the half dozen longer bits I have a foot long chunk of 4X4 that I drilled appropriate holes in that I just stick the bits in to hold them.
I mostly use the longer bits and only use the short bits when I need a specific size other than the regular ones.
Rather than full length long bits, I often find that a 6 inch bit cut down to 4 or 5 inches is the best.

Cut it down so that you can drill a hole next to a cleco without the drill chuck hitting the cleco. That is the most useful length bit for RVs.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-14-2018, 12:18 AM

I have a wood block with holes in it. A #nr next to the holes or group of holes.

I also have a rule for myself that only #30 and #40 bits are allowed to stay in the drill after a work session.
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 AM

Main drills are in a big Heeber Fright set - I love the way they show the drill the titanium in manufacture

Regular drills are in a 6 piece block of 2 x 2 about 4" long - #40, #30 and #19 at the back with same in short screw in sizes for the 90° angle drill. All foot longs nestle behind the tubs on the wall. I will try upload a vid on another thread.

Donated in 2018
Old 02-14-2018, 06:57 AM

At the Eagle’s Nest shop in Wisconsin, we deploy the 5 S method of organization. As you can imagine, our organization or more like disorganization is multiplied by a factor of 20 (students). We have every tool labeled with a location. We also have a designated spot for all our parts. We use a database with Van’s Part number, Description, and a picture of the part to help keep track of every rivet, nut, and bolt. We also have our Bins, shelves, and boxes labeled. These labels coordinate with a specific location of a part. Next build (-12is), we plan to amp it up one more level and have bar codes on all parts. The barcodes will also be captured in our database. Yes, we still misplace parts and spend time searching.

Jim