Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Thank you Scott, very good info to have.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:40 PM

I initially put rivets in the holes but decided to go ahead and install the warning vane. Reasons are redundancy, habit (everything I've flown before has this type stall warning), and option of wiring it to a visual alert that is separate from the audible/visual alert that will be part of my G3X system.

I've never had an issue with the vane either aesthetically or from an ergonomics perspective.

Plus it was one of the "Fun" parts of the build....
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Why?

Those of you who are omitting the stall warning kit from your build: Why? What benefits are you getting from making that change?

I understand that you may have AOA sensing, but having an independently redundant indicator to warn you of incipient stall would seem to be a benefit.

I am not criticizing but trying to understand the decision-making process.
RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
=========================================
Old 02-14-2018, 11:37 AM

I'm building a -3B instead of a -14, and in my kit, there isn't a stall warning system. So I bought one and installed it.

The reason is pretty simple - I've done most of my flying in Cessnas and am well-trained to the stall warning horn. I wanted to maintain the same cues.

The stall warning vane is, after all, a single-point AOA.

Dave
Old 02-14-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1bennett View Post
Those of you who are omitting the stall warning kit from your build: Why? What benefits are you getting from making that change?

I understand that you may have AOA sensing, but having an independently redundant indicator to warn you of incipient stall would seem to be a benefit.

Good question. My thoughts:
- The first RV-8A had no stall warning or AOA indication. I found the plane talked to me well to let me know when I was approaching a stall. Shoot fire - the first time a flight instructor asked for a power on stall during a BFR, his eyes popped when he saw the plane pointing to blue sky, hanging on the prop. He never asked again.
- The RV-10 has the Dynon SkyView with AOA pitot. The AOA warning is wired into the audio panel (audio is, for me, far more useful than the visual AOA indication). This is very helpful for achieving repeatable results on various landing scenarios. It is also helpful when Iím flying in the right seat and the new RV pilot gets the audio feedback instead of me prompting him. I did not install the Vanís vain stall warning as it, to me, was more a pants catcher than useful for flight.

So to your question of need for redundant stall warning. There is so much feedback on our RVs that I do not see a need. But as will all such things this is your plane, build it like you want.

Carl
Old 02-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Reasons for not installing it:

- looks
- no need, I fly several AC without any stall warning device, will have AOA in the 14
- Another hole for water to enter the wing
- I know it is very small but some speed will be lost
- Another thing that can break
- Would not be surprised if this is one of the first things that would fail if encountering ice

Fully admits that looks is the main reason
RV-14 kit #140138
working on FW forward and finish kit
wings, tail kit and fuselage basically done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se

Last edited by control : 02-14-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 02-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Great question. I my last plane had the Dynon Skyview and AOA and I really liked flying with that visual queue especially in steeper turns down low. I found that the arrows became yellow well before any audible indication. I guess I would ask..Why would someone not add the AOA if all they have is the traditional stall warning?

N902X reserved
RV-14a Empennage Kit
Build Log
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 PM

Default redundancy

I installed mine per the plans, sans the electronics. I connected the switch directly to a sonolert type beeper. I can still hear it while I am wearing my headset. I consider it to be only a backup system to my Garmin AOA though. I think is it nice to have redundancy, but the downside is that you can catch the tab when walking by.

Blog: www.roughandreadyaerospace.blogspot.com
Old 02-16-2018, 10:04 AM

I'm building a -7, on the wings right now. So please pardon a -7 guy barging in on y'alls -14 forum :-)

I tossed this same question around a few times myself. Van's shipped the warner kit by default, so there was no "monetary" influencing factors. I ended up deciding I would go ahead and install the stall warner, in addition to doing AOA eventually in my panel.

My reason:
Redundancy. The stall warner is a very simple, but very effective little system. It's pretty robust.

Second, think of it like this. AOA is like the gas gauge in your car. It tells you how much "lift" is remaining on your wings (sort-of). Unless you EFIS supports it, it doesn't explicitly WARN you on an impending stall. Its sole purpose is to indicate how much AOA you have.

Now, the stall warner is just like the "low fuel" warning light in your car. Its SOLE purpose is to EXPLICITLY warn you that you are running out of fuel. Same for the stall warner, its sole purpose is to EXPLICITLY indicate to you that you are very very near the point of a stall by a few knots.

It's only gonna cost me a couple hours of labor to install it, so I figured I might as well install it.
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:

An AoA device is a stall warning indicator. I just don't feel the need for two stall warning indicators.

Every airplane I've ever flown that had a stall warner, had only one. Some of the planes I've flown had none.

One will do...

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Donated 2017