- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
Take the tanks off the wings and put twenty gallons of fuel in them. Roll the around every few days to check for leaks.
I built tanks before and know how to test them. I am sure they don't leak now as they are quick build tanks and I am pretty sure they are tested prior to shipping, but judging from all the leaking fuel tank threads, quick build tanks are prone to developing leaks after some time. I would rather do a preemptive strike now before they are installed and painted. Since I am increasing capacity anyway, I am going to open up every bay and put some decent fillets on all the ribs and rivets. Like I said, looking inside I don't like what I see. People complain a lot about the fuel vents dripping and siphoning off fuel after filling their tanks, even after leaving a margin for expansion. I checked out the vent line end on one of my tanks with a flashlight and mirror and there is almost 1/2" gap from the top of the vent tube to the tank top skin. I can almost get the tip of my finger between them!.. No wonder some weep/drip/siphon fuel and create a mess. I will re-work or replace the lines while I am in there and have the ends turned up and beveled so there is just a 3/32-1/8" gap between the beveled open end of the vent line and the tank skin. This should eliminated dripping as long as I don't over-stuff the tanks with fuel. I did this building my -10 tanks and never had an issue with dripping fuel after filling the tanks as long as they were not stuffed. The RV-10 vents just come straight out of the tanks with a 90* bend down and out through the wing root skin. None of that routing through the cabin stuff like the RV-9. I am using the Rocket vent mod with the wing root loops then straight down and out. I already ripped that mess out of the cabin.

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Dave,
What is the rocket vent mod?
Thanks
Dave
Old 02-09-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoakes@att.net View Post
Dave,
Thanks
Dave
Like this. Tank is vented at the outboard top edge, to a 2-or-3 loop coil of 1/4" tubing, and then vented through the bottom of the wing. I did this with my outboard tanks, and the outboard vent into the inboards for flow-through venting. None of that cabin vent line noise.

http://websites.expercraft.com/airgu...y&log_id=38573

http://websites.expercraft.com/airgu...y&log_id=33889

My inboard tanks are standard except for the vents, and I built the outboard leading edges into another tank, 15.5 gallons per side.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 02-09-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoakes@att.net View Post
Dave,
Thanks
Dave
Here is a pic of my -7A. Not quite finished but you get the idea.

PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 02-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Here is a pic of my -7A. Not quite finished but you get the idea.

Nice Ray. What are you using to separate and hold the coil in place? I want something that will not allow the coils to bounce around. I was thinking I would fabricate a split loom out of aluminum with snap bushings or rubber grommets and then have the loom fastened to the fuel level sender cover plate.

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 PM

drifting the thread a little but in another thread about vent lines it was pointed out that low points could collect water, then ice. what's the story with these vent loops?
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
Nice Ray. What are you using to separate and hold the coil in place? I want something that will not allow the coils to bounce around. I was thinking I would fabricate a split loom out of aluminum with snap bushings or rubber grommets and then have the loom fastened to the fuel level sender cover plate.
I used large, opposing tie-wraps, which is what you see in the photo. One around two tubes with another wrapped around the middle of the tie-wrap between them. You could also use a short piece of rubber tubing in between.

Beyond that, the connection to the tank and wing root fairing do a fine job of stabilizing the assembly. I'm in the middle of my first CI now and will be opening the wing roots for inspection to ensure all is well.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army