VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 PM

And don't forget, that at least on the Skyview, the size of the glide arc is influenced by the aircraft's GPS-determined height above the ground directly under the aircraft. This is important to know if you are flying over terrain with varying heights.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 650+ hours (as of July 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 PM

I don't have a wind vector arrow showing wind direction, (I'm using Garmin Pilot), BUT, the other day, I noticed the glide ring compressed on one side, and very oblong on the other end. Not hard to figure which direction the winds were coming from. (I was dealing with about 22 Kt winds, so the glide ring was really compressed from the northwest----and elongated to the southeast.)

Poor mans wind direction arrow.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
And don't forget, that at least on the Skyview, the size of the glide arc is influenced by the aircraft's GPS-determined height above the ground directly under the aircraft. This is important to know if you are flying over terrain with varying heights.
Re: Accounting for terrain on the Glide Ring. The SkyView doesn't do as good a job as ForeFlight does in this respect. The SkyView does not take into account terrain that may be in the way and the AGL within the ring. Here is a screen capture from my SkyView Touch, over mountainous terrain. The Glide Ring is just a smooth circle (shown in Green). Note that the winds are light so there are no offsets due to winds.

However, ForeFlight does a much better job accounting for terrain, as shown in this screenshot from my iPad (from a different flight).

As a side note, for wind impact on the Glide Rings, I think the Skyview uses calculated winds, and ForeFlight uses ADS-B forecast winds.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 02-07-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Default Glide

Hi Carl, Quite aside from the subject of glide capability as shown considering the terrain, that is a most impressive display. I will be using GRT HXr EFIS and Skydemon. I hope that I can get as much information displayed from Skydemon as you have there. I hope to have my RV 8 flying this year.....(if I can ever finished installing the baffles!). I may have to check Foreflight. Skydemon is good because it is world wide, and my poor old brain only has to cope with one system, but what a beautiful system you have!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hi Carl, Quite aside from the subject of glide capability as shown considering the terrain, that is a most impressive display. I will be using GRT HXr EFIS and Skydemon. I hope that I can get as much information displayed from Skydemon as you have there. I hope to have my RV 8 flying this year.....(if I can ever finished installing the baffles!). I may have to check Foreflight. Skydemon is good because it is world wide, and my poor old brain only has to cope with one system, but what a beautiful system you have!
I'm relatively new to the Dynon Eco system in my new RV-8 (SkyView Touch EFIS, Autopilot, COM radio, Intercom, Transponder (Trig), and their 2020 compliant ADS-B OUT & IN) but so far I like them. Great integration of the various components and functions. Lots of information displayed on the EFIS, but easily assimilated after some familiarity with it. And Dynon allows the input of Vne (Redline) in terms of TAS (Vne = 230 MPH TAS for the -8). You can see the effect of that in the first screenshot in my post above. I think the GRT provides that option also.

One thing I was appreciative of was the training videos Dynon has on their YouTube channel. Those, in conjunction with the Pilot's User Guide & Installation Guide, were very helpful in getting up to speed on using the various capabilities of the system.

That said, I would like to see Dynon upgrade the aural traffic warning to include, direction, distance, and relative altitude (like ForeFlight does). I would also like Dynon to implement the ability to display the AGL altitude of the airplane in a small box on the PFD (again, like ForeFlight does). Both of these I believe would be great safety enhancements.

Re: ForeFlight. I like ForeFlight and recommend it.

Re: Baffles. Good baffles = Happy engine!

Sorry for the thread drift.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 02-08-2018 at 06:25 PM.