- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaplerrh View Post
1. I've been thinking of using my pressure washed to clean the engine and accessories. Any known reason this shouldn't work on a completely cold engine? I realize I'll need to dial back the pressure some.
Couple issues I can think of that would absolutely steer me away from this:
1. Even dialed down pressure and the FWF seems like a bad idea--too many relatively fragile things--think small wires, air filters, etc.
2. Introducing water anywhere there are electrical connections seems like an even worse idea. The problems might not crop up until later when terminals have had a chance to corrode.

One of my automotive mechanics jokes that he likes to work on cars whose owners feel the need to pressure wash their engine. First because it is a nice clean engine to work on. Second, because of all the later maintenance that needs to be done due to corroded connections. (I think he's must be joking about the last point especially because tracking down electrical issues is frustrating and laborious, even if it is profitable for him.)

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 02-05-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 AM

[quote=moosepileit;1237313]Nothing trapped in the filter media follows that oil backwards into the engine, eh?]
The oil system pushes oil through the filter at 50-90 psi. You can adjust your compressed air to a pressure you are comfortable with. I would say the oil is most likely to return to the engine via the same path it does when the engine is operating, and thus is unlikely to dislodge anything from the filter.
However, even if it flows in reverse direction, if you are using less pressure than what drives the oil through normally, it is unlikely to dislodge.
Alternative is to use a non-Lycoming filter adapter that holds the filter near vertical so oil drains back naturally.
KCHD
RV-10 40866
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
Alternative is to use a non-Lycoming filter adapter that holds the filter near vertical so oil drains back naturally.
This doesn’t actually work, as the angled oil filter adapters use a filter with a check valve that traps oil inside so that the engine doesn’t have to fill the filter on each start (thereby letting it be oil starved for a few seconds). Unfortunately, when you spin the filter off, the trapped oil pours out through the “other side” of the check valve, creating the mess.

I use a large zip lock bag with some shop rags (or diaper material) tucked up underneath to catch the drippings. Works MOST of the time - except when the bag skips and it makes a mess.....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM

Could you punch a drain hole AND a vent hole so the check valve is not in play? Just don't put it on the line your filter cutter will slice, probably below.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Could you punch a drain hole AND a vent hole so the check valve is not in play? Just don't put it on the line your filter cutter will slice, probably below.
The filter will drain just fine with just the drain hole punched in it.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID