- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post

So, what task is going to require time in the footwell?
Depends on how much stuff you put behind the panel and how/where you decide to attach it. Lots of remote avionics? Nutplates on the back of the sub-panel? You could do that stuff laying on your back in the footwell. Or you could do most of it on the bench.

I'm resigned to being under there to hook up ground wires to the forest of tabs on the firewall, to route push/pull cables, and to route engine sensor wiring.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-28-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Yeah...

I figured wire routing but everything I will be installing (hopefully) will be in front of the sub panel. As I have the Aerosport symmetrical panel, my full length radio will be in the center, so the plane is to make a larger than needed hole in the sub panel (reinforced per vans plans) and use that access to install any nut plates that I may need.

Pretty sure any way you look at it, you are going to spend some time in the footwell.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a big access panel on the forward fuse assembly so you would have access to the area between the firewall and sub panel?

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I figured wire routing but everything I will be installing (hopefully) will be in front of the sub panel. As I have the Aerosport symmetrical panel, my full length radio will be in the center, so the plane is to make a larger than needed hole in the sub panel (reinforced per vans plans) and use that access to install any nut plates that I may need.

Pretty sure any way you look at it, you are going to spend some time in the footwell.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a big access panel on the forward fuse assembly so you would have access to the area between the firewall and sub panel?
A large access panel in the "UFF" is doable with proper engineering, but Rob Hickman recommended against it - the holes in the panel for 10 or 12 inch screens are plenty large for access from the front - except for the area between subpanel and FW. Hopefully an avionics suite can be planned without much (I didn't say any) need to work in that particular recess.

It's true you can't install the wind screen without the UFF in place. My dilemma is that I also can't cover the firewall completely in insulation and foil until the UFF is riveted to the upper firewall. I'm wanting to get that task out of the way but it's forcing a decision with how much of the UFF work to do and when. As of now, I'm inclined to "build on:" cut the radio stack center hole in the sub-panel per plans (even though I will likely go with remote mounted radios and transponder - maybe it'll help with IFR GPS navigator fitment???) and rivet that UFF sucker in.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Default Me too..

Bill,

I am also having the same dilemma. I decided to rivet my UFF on and go to town on my FiberFrax/SS sheet sandwich on the firewall. The way I see it, the only foot well items remaining would be putting control cables and wires through the firewall pass-throughs. The pass-throughs can likely be cut through the FF/SS sandwich from the engine side of the firewall. I think I will be able to do my panel work from the front, with maybe a little work in the well. I have talked with others who have done the FF/SS firewall sandwich, and they didn't seem too worried about panel work. Waiting until the last "minute" to order avionics is a good idea, I think. I guess I'll see whether or not I regret this choice.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 02-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Yeah, my only concern really is having to make cuts in the sub panel, sure would be easier to do with it out of the plane, but I guess till you have the panel pieces in place you really don't know where you might need more room. I do have to say there is a ton of room even with it in there to work as long at the sticks are out and the pedals aren't connected, you can push them way out of the way.