What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Question

asw20c

Well Known Member
On page 10-20 the rivet call-out for the rudder stops (F-14113 L and R) is an AN426AD4-6; a flush head rivet. That makes no sense given that the holes are not countersunk, and there is no way to countersink (at least 2 of the 4 holes) given how close they are to the other leg of the angle. Is this a typo? Should it be an AN470 rivet instead?

We used flush head rivets as called out. Countersinking did require that we used a bare countersink cutter, i.e. no cage. Had to be careful not to cut too deep, but worked well.

The countersink for the the rudder stops (F-14113) is listed on page 10-04, step 3.

Happy building!

****. There it is plain as day. Not sure how I missed that countersinking note. Disregard my earlier post, and thanks for heads up.

One of the parts I have had to re-order was the rudder stop, for two reasons: 1) I mis-read the drawings to trim it and 2) I bungled the countersink on the part next to the angle.

Getting the rivets next to angle driven really flush is also a challenge....

Last edited:
A straight 1" mushroom set, not a swivel, helps if you have one. Also, a second set of hands makes it easy. If the person holding the gun can use one hand to steady the mushroom set it's pretty easy to use the just the edge of the set on the rivet.

Use the extension that came with your deburring tool...use a battery drill on slow... It's easier to see you are square to the job.

Back