What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which comes first, cowling or baffles?

JHartline

Well Known Member
Trying to get some work done while the temps are above freezing. I think it would be easier to fit the cowl without the baffles in place but is there reason to wait on installing them until all the cowling fitting is done?

Baffles must fit the cowling, not vis-versa. Thus, cowling needs to happen first. You can perhaps get started on rough fitting of the baffles, but you won't know how much to cut them down until the cowl is in place.

You can fit the baffles just don't attach the rubber seals to them and there should be enough clearance to fit the cowling. I rough fit my cowling with the baffles on (no rubber seals) and the baffles don't interfere with the fitting.

Expanding a bit.....
On the RV-14 the baffles could be installed before the cowl because the baffles come trimmed to final size.

My recommendation would be that the cowl still be done first, or at least the fwd cyl baffle sections be left off while fitting the cowl to avoid the possible interference until the cowl inlets are final trimmed to match the inlet ramps.

>> I recommend you do what Scott said.

I did install the baffles and baffle seals prior to fitting the cowling, it probably would have been a little easier if the baffle seals had not already been in place - because you install and take the cowlings off numerous times. The seals make it a little harder to fit the cowling halves as they are new and stiff.

Last edited:
Yep...I always do what Scott says :D

Getting at least the rear baffles on will help me start tidying things up around the motor. Thanks for for the insight.

Back