What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control cable questions

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
i have some questions regarding control cables....

Push/pulls used on the heater bypasses

• Do I need to use any fasteners like Adel clips prior to the firewall? They are fairly rigid so I’m assuming just loop it a bit to clear the rudder pedals and then run it through the fire wall.
  • Once fwf I understand getting them tight, trimming sleeve and then trimming the end... but what I don’t get is the use of safety wire. Do I just loop it around with the idea that it keeps it from slipping and in turn the open close function?

Now for the engine control cables. These will be custom ordered because on top of using the Aerosport center quadrant bit, and a forward facing fuel servo, I also have an AC compressor so have to route the prop cable over the engine.

• For measuring I plan on running weed eater line as I would the control cable. Is the idea to have the controls match the poisition of the engine component. For example the prop gov resting positions seems to be feathered or ‘pulled out’. So would I measure end to end and in turn assuming I have a 2 inch throw on the cable it would work as it supposed to.
  • Given that I’m running the prop cable over the engine, what is a good fire sleeve / heat protector for this? Do I need it on the throttle or mixture lines?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Cables

I did not use the cables on the heat valves, I went with l ear actuators so I can?t help there.

I am using the Aerosport symmetrical panel and quadrant, NOT the 310 panel. I ran the Governor cable over the engine and the stock length was fine. I did use the showplanes Governor cable bracket at the Governor end.

You may want to use something a bit more substantial than trimmer line to figure your lengths. The trimmer line is far more flexible than the cables. You might try 1/4? vinyl tubing, it will give you a better idea of the flexibility and bend radius of the cable.

When you order the cables, don?t forget to order the clevis and rod end bearings as they are not included with the cable.

I'm squared away for the most part. Pending issue is this safety wire bit... Do I just loop around one end and then twist it to the other end, loop and twist that? I get the idea is so it doesn't slide around but want to ensure I do it correctly. Thanks!

I'm squared away for the most part. Pending issue is this safety wire bit... Do I just loop around one end and then twist it to the other end, loop and twist that? I get the idea is so it doesn't slide around but want to ensure I do it correctly. Thanks!

That?s exactly right. Twist fairly tight around the cable on one side of the clamp then Crosby the clamp and do the same on the other side. It keeps the cable from slipping, causing the heater adjustment to change.

Thanks, 3 hours later I'm done... that literally sucked and probably A LOT easier to do prior to mounting the engine. But hey I got lots of solid safety wire practice!

Back