What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extended crows foot for prop bolts

Tandem46

Well Known Member
This topic has been discussed before in the past but I can't find specific information on it. I'm trying to find an extended length crows feet or some other tool for torquing the prop bolts on the cs props. The standard crows feet sold by just about everybody that sells crows feet are too short and once you attach the torque wrench to it, you can't get the crows foot on the nut.

Does anyone out there have any other ideas. I do have a open ended wrench that is welded to a socket, but due to the angle of the wrench its barely satisfactory and not ideal. I'd rather just have an extended crows foot, but apparently nobody makes them. I'm amazed that with all the specialized toosl out there in the certified/experimental arena that someone doesn't sell some inexpensive prop bolt extension wrench. I know that Hartzell apparently does sell something like this, but I can't find it on their website and I've been told it's over $200.

Tobin

You're correct, the Hartzell tool is really pricey.
I got a longer crow's foot from the MATCO tool guy and it worked for me on my RV6. Haven't used it on my new blended airfoil prop yet, but I assume it will work just fine. It is just a little longer than the Sears version. SnapOn may sell one, but I don't know.

I checked with Snapon a while back and they did not have a suitable one. I also checked with Matco and at the time they did not have one either. Maybe they have had enough request and made one.

The Hartzell version is $350.00. I used a quality open end wrench and welded it to a socket. Find a wrench that is thicker in height, like a Snapon tubing wrench (the open end). It will hold the nuts better and not tend to spread open when torquing.

It would be nice if Hartzell included that wrench with a new prop for home builders.

Roberta

tobinbasford said:
I'm amazed that with all the specialized toosl out there in the certified/experimental arena that someone doesn't sell some inexpensive prop bolt extension wrench.

Hey Tobin,

I looked around, and can't find anything (serious) either. It can't hurt to call, or email Avery, and ask if this is something they have, can get, or would consider making. They are always interested in new products, and there does seem to be a market for it.

On a not so serious note, you could always try one of these. I found it while looking for torque wrench extensions.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

Back