What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB-470 Installation Problems Dynon Skyview

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Surely this will be an easy problem to fix...

This is on N412BR, the first E-LSA Skyview RV12 with the original conversion wiring harnesses shipped, but no earlier avionics installed (one of the "waiting for Skyview" folks.)

Simple question, then the details.
The AV5000A box comes with an empty DB-9 plug for the ADSB receiver or a GPS. Pins 2 and 3 on that plug SHOULD be connected to one of the 5 Skyview serial ports.
a> Is this true?
b> Which serial port? 1, 2, or 4? (Port 3 is used for the Dynon transponder and 5 is used for the Dynon GPS module)

Here's what I did and the symptoms.
I purchased the ADSB module, antenna, coax, and wiring harness from Steinair. The 4-wire wiring harness comes with a mail DB9 pre-installed on one end and pre-attached pins on the other. The 4 wires are:
Pin 1 - Red - power
Pin 2 - White - ADSB470 box RX
Pin 3 - White - ADSB470 box TX
Pin 4 - Black - Ground
I checked continuity of these wires before I started, good, no shorts.

Note that Stein supplies these wires with the TX-RX-Ground wire shields connected with little green jumpers at one end only - the end with the loose pins. The Skyview manual does not indicate that is needed.

I mounted the 470 receiver on the back bulkhead to the pilot side of the bulkhead opening. I attached the wiring harness and ran the wires forward through snap bushings added on the pilots side, the wire running right below the longeron. It will be covered by the interior panels. I ran it up through the bottom of the panel right forward of the ignition module/master switch box. I put the four wires into a DB9 and plugged it into the AV5000A box into the empty ADSB socket. I put a 2A fuse in the panel in its empty ADSB socket (it draws 0.2a). I also mount and connect the supplied antenna in the tailcone.

I pull the fuel pump fuse and power on the plane.

NOTE: You must also engage the AVIONICS switch for power to go to the ADSB470. This is proper.

The 470 has an LED on it that is now blinking slowly. According to the manual this indicates that the module is operating but is not fully communicating with Skyview. So far, so good - the Skyview has to be told what is connected to the serial ports - it does not auto-sense that.

I go to Setup>Local Display Setup> Serial Port Setup.
There are are only 3 unused serial port choices; they indicate NONE as the connected device - ports 1-2-4. (This is how they are, I did not have to change that.) Port 3 is the Dynon Transponder, Port 5 is the Dynon GPS. I have no idea how the AV5000 is wired so I figure it is easy enough to try all three.

TRY PORT 1:
Following the installation instructions, I assign port 1 to the ADSB470 (picked from a list) and hit ACCEPT. I navigate to the SETUP MENU>ADSB-STATUS and it says "NOT FOUND." (Note - on the ground you might expect to see "NO SIGNAL" once you do find the right serial port...)

I go back to Port 1 and reset it to NONE, hit Accept.

TRY PORT 2:
I assign port 2 to the ADSB470 and hit ACCEPT. I navigate to the SETUP MENU>ADSB-STATUS and it says "NOT FOUND." I go back to Port 2 and reset it to NONE, hit accept.

TRY PORT 4:
I assign port 4 to the ADSB470 and hit ACCEPT. I navigate to the SETUP MENU>ADSB-STATUS and it says "NOT FOUND."
I go back to Port 4 and reset it to NONE, hit Accept.

Hmmmm. I think that maybe the TX-RX wires are reversed.
I swap those two pins in the DB-9 connected to the AV5000A box - one end of the cable only.

I repeat the above procedure, again assigning the 470 to ports 1, 2, and 4 and checking status. The same results - NOT FOUND on any port.

Suggestions???

My next step could be to only use pins 1 and 4 to the AV5000A box (power/ground) and send the other two RX-TX wires directly into the main connector on the Skyview D-1000. But I would like it to work as designed...

EDITED ADDED NOTE: I knocked off for the day but I will also check to be sure that adding the pins to the other DB9 didn't introduce a short-to-shield in a TX or RX wire.
N412BR "Sweetie" undergoing its first annual inspection! Gear mod is next...

Last edited:
Hi Bill

Mine is working fine but it took me a while.
On the VAN's autocad wiring you can see the db9 is connected to port 2 of the SV.
If you set the correct baudrate and protocol you can see the block counter go up at the port monitoring function.
I am not sure what the Dynon adsb uses as we use a european type receiver which works different.
I had to set 9600 bd and Garmin TIS protocol.

It is a great option and it already saved me on two occasions

ADSB Connection

Bill -

My ADSB was working when I dropped the plane off for paint 24 April. Still waiting for that process to get finished. And I'm away from wiring diagram now and so working from memory.

First, I was also waiting for Skyview but had no wiring - hence no conversion. So that may be different.

I installed the ADSB as you described, in back, with wires from Dynon box under longeron and up to the ADSB slot on Van's 5000 box. That and the antenna is the only wiring I did.

My recollection is that by careful work with a magnifying glass and a print out of the RV12 wiring diagram from PDF (made available by a wonderful person here at VAF) I was able to determine that the Vans Skyview wiring from the 5000 box to Skyview put the ADSB into serial port 2 (someone please correct me if I remember wrong).

I do not remember the Skyview steps but they were per the latest Skyview install manual that includes the ADSB box. Once I put in the fuse for it (earlier post) the ADSB worked.

The other thing I remember is that in reading R and T designations on diagrams and instructions I had to remember the point of view of which box was being wired to. Probably old hat to those with experience, but for this old bookkeeper it took a few minutes for the light came on and have it finally dawn on me.

The ASDB port on the AV-5000 does connect the 470 box to serial port 2 on the SV-1000.

If the ADSB option kit is purchased from Van's, instructions for doing the system set-up/configuration is included in the installation documentation.

ADS-B

Bill, I have the Dynon ADS-B installed on my Kitfox, but not my RV. Installation and setup were by the book and it works fine (serial port 2), but I used the Dynon harness which is color coded - so the serial ports were obvious. (Be sure to use the correct RX/TX to the correct pins) I went straight from the ADS-B unit to the Skyview, there is no other box to connect to. Maybe going straight to the Skyview and seeing if that works will help. It's just a thought. Also, is it possible that your serial wires are not on the same port. Such as using serial 2 RX and Serial 1 TX? I'm not sure how the AV-5000 fits in the scheme of things but perhaps that sorts out that issue for you. Anyway, hang in there, it will come together.

Problem solved ...but...

The problem is solved but brings to light something interesting.

The AV5000A box has a DB9 socket for ADSB. Pins 2 and 3 of that socket are for the serial connection from the ADSB box. Those pins are supposed to go straight through the AV5000A box and wind up on the 37 Pin connector on the back of the Skyview (on Pins 5 and 6, for Serial Port #2.)
With that connection made, it is simply a matter of telling Skyview serial Port 2 it is connected to an ADSB 470. Then everything works - and does now on my system.

BUT! On my AV5000A box there is no connection between the ADSB input socket eventually to the 37 pin plug of for the Skyview!!! Believe me, I did a careful continuity check, with both power applied to the AV5000A and without it. I checked all five Skyview serial inputs on the 37 pin socket (Pins 3-4,5-6,7-8,9-10,11-12)

Now, for the signal to get from that DB9 input on the AV5000A, it has to go through the 50 PIN EFIS connector on the AV5000A. It is this 50 pin plug that supplies the 37 pin Skyview connector. So I checked to see if the ADSB socket pins 2 or 3 had continuity to ANY of those 50 pins (power OFF only.) Nothing!

Interestingly, there ARE wires connected from the AV5000A to the serial inputs of the Skyview. On my harnesses these are labelled as follows:

Serial Port 1, Pins 3(RX) - 4(TX):
Pin 3 is EMPTY! Pin 4 has wire F739
Now, what good is a serial port with a TX wire only? What was the intended use for this? Is this an error? Was it maybe some output only to that optional GPS interface to the ELT? (Hmmm - will check that...)

Serial Port 2, Pins 5-6: These had wires F563 and F564. I pulled them out of the 37 pin connector and put in the 2 wires direct from the ADSB470. I told Serial Port 2 it was connected to a 470, it recognized it and began communicating. Status is no longer NOT FOUND, it is NO SIGNAL (because its on the ground in the hangar!) ADSB status appears on the map page!

Serial Port 3, Pins 7-8: (The Dynon Transponder uses this port, works fine)
The two wires are labelled F557 and F558

Serial Port 4, Pins 9-10:
Nothing connected, but the wires to it are F562 and F561

Serial Port 5, Pins 11-12: The Dynon GPS uses this port, works fine)
The wires connected are F560 and F559
++++++++++
My basic solution was to use the AV5000A box's ADSB port to supply power and ground to the ADSB470 box, using pins 1 and 4. This is good because it uses the ADSB fuse on the panel and powers the 470 with the other things on the avionics switch. I took the two data wires and ran them directly into the 37 pin connector going into the back of the Skyview, pulling out wires F563 and F564. To do this I had to change the ends of the wires from the 470 from male pins to female pins.

Now, I COULD have tried to figure out what the heck was going on with the 50 pin connector on the AV5000A box, but that would have involved a lot of tedious checking and maybe with the power on. Didn't want to do that. Pulling the 2 wires I pulled had no downside because whatever they are supposed to be doing (namely reserving a space on Serial Port 2 for the future ADSB box and making it plug-and-play), they weren't doing it.

My nagging question is - what else might not be right? And what are these wires supposed to be for?
F739
F562
F561

and what are these actually connected to (the ones that were on Serial port 2 but not connected to the ADSB socket?)
F563
F564

Can't answer your questions (no drawings here it home to look at), so I can only say that quite a few of the option kits purchased from Van's have now been installed plug and play with no problems.

For the ADSB option, the AV-50000 is pretty much just a pass though tying all of the appropriate SV-1000 connections to the appropriate 470 connections (plus providing +v. via the avionics switch).

A little help please

I finally got around to connecting the Dynon ADSB box to my SkyView.

I used the third com port for the ADSB unit.

With it powered on, I get a slow blinking red light and the SkyView is transmitting but not receiving anything.

I have double and tripled checked the TX and RX wires and they are wired per the manual.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong? Configuration problems?

(Tomorrow I am going to change the TX and RX wires to use com port 4, just in case the wires in the SkyView harness are DOA.)

Back