What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would you?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
If you could get an almost never touched brand new quick build RV-6 for $6,000, would you? Why or why not?

Curious on your opinions!

Do you mean an untouched kit? For $6000? If so.......I don't think this is a controversial topic. :)

IN A NEW YORK MINUTE!

Why? Because the RV-6 is the best of the 2-place SBS RVs.

Mine has been flying since the spring of 1993 and I wouldn't trade it for any other.

Last edited:
It depends

If it's a quick built kit, take a close look at all the high dollar items like the spar and make sure they aren't screwed up. If the alum has the blue wrap still on it, look carefully for corrosion. If it's scattered smothered and covered, do a close inventory. Don't let the low price cloud your vision. One thing to consider, no matter what the price, make sure you are game for a RV6 build over the next couple of years. It's a very good airplane but maybe not quite as fast to build as the other models.

Tempting

From your builder's log, you seem to be well on the way with the RV-7. Aside from the excitement of a "deal," do you have the time to take-on another project? If yes, then go for it. If no, then call WingsonWheels!:)

For me given your current workload, I would pass (unless you want to buy it as an investment!). Frankly, if you pass others will eventually come your way.

True I am pretty far along time wise and money wise on my RV-7, and that's sort of why I posed the question about the 6. The deal is exciting, but that's also 6 grand I could put into my 7.

My buddy is actually going to look at the plane first. He sold his beautiful Kitfox and got out of aviation and now I think he's kind of missing it because he's been asking me about this RV-6. I think the current owner is a guy he works with.

Since the guy that owns it hasn't touched it in years, he may not even know about VAF. If neither of us buy it, I'll advise him to post it for sale on the forums and it will probably sell within minutes! (assuming like someone said-there's no corrosion or messed up spars or anything!)

Even back in the old days, the quick build 6 came with a factory finished spar in a 95% complete finished wing.

It is is a quick build kit, it should be very easy to inspect. The advantage of a 7 QB kit is not worth the $20,000.00 more you would have to spend. (price does not include the finish kit for the 7.) Don't know about the 6. I would guess not.

Back