What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTR 200 V2.60 Software

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello GTR 200 Users,

As everyone knows, the front mounted micro SD card on the GTR 200 allows users to install free software upgrades each time we make them available.

Today we released GTR 200 V2.60 to our website which unleashes more of the power of the GTR 200 digital signal processor and adds some great new audio capabilities if you use your GTR 200 as your stereo intercom.

V2.60 adds a Music Bass Boost feature with Off, Medium, and High settings and Music Equalizer Presets with Off, Pop, Classical, and Rock settings. We know you will be very pleased with the results.

I personally like the Medium Bass Boost with Rock equalizer preset.

BassBoost.jpg

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
  • Improvements to intercom and auto-squelch performance
  • Added high cockpit noise option to help further reduce intercom background noise
  • Added user selectable two level bass boost for music audio
  • Added user selectable equalizer presets for music audio. Equalizer presets available are Rock, Classical, and Pop.
  • Increased menu UI auto-timeout

Those using the GTR 20 remote radio with a G3X Touch system will automatically receive this update the next time we update the G3X Touch system software.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Here is a suggestion for a new feature. Have an option to change high frequency audio to lower frequency. This feature is intended for older pilots that are hard of hearing and who have trouble understanding women and children. I believe that some headsets already have this feature. If the radio itself is able to change a woman controller's voice to a male voice, then any headset could be used.
Joe Gores

Awesome! I look forward to trying it out.

I think the only feature request I have now is a small change to the way the USR button works.

As I have a Garmin Aera connected that feeds frequencies to the GTR, I don't ever expect to use any of the user-programmable frequencies. Yet, every time I hit the USR button, that's the first place it goes. I have to rotate the outer knob to find the GPS frequencies, and only then can I rotate the inner knob to call up the airports nearby.

If there were some way to make the GTR default to the GPS group, or have it remember the last group accessed, perhaps?

Here is a suggestion for a new feature. Have an option to change high frequency audio to lower frequency. This feature is intended for older pilots that are hard of hearing and who have trouble understanding women and children. I believe that some headsets already have this feature. If the radio itself is able to change a woman controller's voice to a male voice, then any headset could be used.
Joe Gores

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your input. We will keep this in mind.

One of the guys here asked us to change his transmitted voice to make him sound like a professional pilot with a deep voice. :)

Thanks,
Steve

Awesome! I look forward to trying it out.

I think the only feature request I have now is a small change to the way the USR button works.

As I have a Garmin Aera connected that feeds frequencies to the GTR, I don't ever expect to use any of the user-programmable frequencies. Yet, every time I hit the USR button, that's the first place it goes. I have to rotate the outer knob to find the GPS frequencies, and only then can I rotate the inner knob to call up the airports nearby.

If there were some way to make the GTR default to the GPS group, or have it remember the last group accessed, perhaps?

Hello Rob,

While pushing one of the user defined soft keys set to "USR" always results in displaying the user defined frequency list, you might want to try simply pushing the center of the inner knob on the right.

The first time you press this knob it will default to the USER frequency group, but once you use the outer knob to right click past the RECENT frequency group over to one of the airport frequency groups, the GTR 200 will remember where you were last and will take you back there the next time you press the inner knob.

Note that as you fly along the mix of nearest and flight plan airport frequency groups changes, so there may not be a perfect match to return to, but it will still put you in the airport frequency area most of the time.

Thanks,
Steve

The first time you press this knob it will default to the USER frequency group, but once you use the outer knob to right click past the RECENT frequency group over to one of the airport frequency groups, the GTR 200 will remember where you were last and will take you back there the next time you press the inner knob.
Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Software Update

Is anybody else having trouble updating the software on the GTR 200? I downloaded the V2.60 installer from the Garmin site and ran it to put the software onto a micro SD card per the instructions but when I inserted the card into the GTR 200 slot nothing happened. I tried cycling power and checking the Setup menu with no luck. What am I missing?

Did you put the exe on the card or did you execute the exe after download and let it put the files on the card?

Silly me... I was flying on the weekend and the functionality of the USR button bothered me again so I came back here to check whether there had been any update to my suggestion... And here i'd forgotten all about it! I guess the memory really is the second thing to go...

Will try it again this weekend if the weather permits...

As part of my condition inspection, I made the wiring change in my RV-12 as outlined in this thread which changes the wiring of the audio in jack. All I can say is wow. I am very happy that I made this change. I turned the music up as loud as my ears could stand it and there was no distortion, clear mid-notes, and deep base. I had previously updated the software with the update noted in this thread, so I got the full benefit of the stereo capabilities of the GTR 200.

It took a little nerve to cut apart my wiring harness to the GTR 200 but in the end, it was well worth it.

Last edited:
As part of my condition inspection, I made the wiring change in my RV-12 as outlined in this thread which changes the wiring of the audio in jack. All I can say is wow. I am very happy that I made this change. I turned the music up as loud as my ears could stand it and there was no distortion, clear mid-notes, and deep base. I had previously updated the software with the update noted in this thread, so I got the full benefit of the stereo capabilities of the GTR 200.

It took a little nerve to cut apart my wiring harness to the GTR 200 but in the end, it was well worth it.

Hello Randy,

Thanks so much for reporting back with your results! It is nice to receive confirmation that customers can accomplish this wiring upgrade and receive the benefits you describe.

Thanks,
Steve

Back