VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Do you have the filler port inside the cabin? I think you’ll want some sort of vapor recovery nozzle/seal (like at car gas stations) to keep from filling the cabin with fumes.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Extended Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Do you have the filler port inside the cabin? I think you’ll want some sort of vapor recovery nozzle/seal (like at car gas stations) to keep from filling the cabin with fumes.
Bob, I had the same concerns about uncontrolled fumes during fuelling, so much so that I invested a good deal of time figuring out a detachable extension to the filler neck to keep the operation outside the cabin. I abandoned that though after finding that a damp cloth held around the nozzle and filler neck did the job just fine, and I can take a peek in there as the level gets near the top, so it doesn't overflow.

Carl, the whole setup cost about $1k to fabricate. The welder isn't comfortable with referrals for aviation jobs, so I'll respect his wishes about that. However, I'm told there are a number of tank fabricators that'll make a custom tank to your specs for a variety of "off-road applications".
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM

What's the possibility of using a Roto-molded, polyethylene plastic boat fuel tank vs having someone weld up an aluminum one from scratch? A 40 gal one from West Marine costs $220.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/moell...2?recordNum=28
WAR EAGLE!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:55 AM

[quote=Auburntsts;1267099]What's the possibility of using a Roto-molded, polyethylene plastic boat fuel tank vs having someone weld up an aluminum one from scratch? A 40 gal one from West Marine costs $220.

I looked into that as well as race car fuel cells, but I wasn't comfortable with being able to manage electrostatic discharge issues with polyethylene. There may well be a way to make it safe, I'm just not too familiar.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Default Button

I just hit the like button. Great job Paddy. I'll definitely be looking for a trip report.
Whirlwind 375RV
Garmin G900X
Finishing and FWF is ongoing
Old 06-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Paddy, did you ever consider converting your outboard leading edges to fuel tanks, like others have done?

Good luck with your flught!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM

[quote=N941WR;1267116]Paddy, did you ever consider converting your outboard leading edges to fuel tanks, like others have done?

Bill, I did look at doubling up the wing tanks and have seen some very nicely executed examples of that approach by other builders. If the extra fuel is going to be needed on a regular basis, and the pilot is comfortable with the polar moment of the extra weight outboard in the wing, I think it's a good option. In my case, I know I'll seldom need that extra range, so being able to completely remove the tank seemed to fit the mission better.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Nice piece of engineering Paddy. What route do you plan to fly? Gander to Greenland, or to Iceland? Any issues with foreign governments with a home spun tank like this? What about safety gear like a dry suit and a raft?

Mark
Old 06-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Default Route

Hi Mark, Planned route is CYFB - BGSF - BIRK - EIWT. This route stays north of the Gander FIR, so HF radio is not required. No issues anticipated with the tank, since it was designed and built for the airplane by the manufacturer (me). Special permission for EAB aircraft is required however, by Denmark (Greenland), and I've already applied for that. Iceland, according to their latest AIP has no special requirements, although they have had them in the past. I'll have to check on that one for sure... Safety and survival equipment is definitely required, including both an immersion suit and a life raft. There's a great write up on this trip already in the forums by Mark Albery entitled "crossing the pond". It's a great read. The biggest challenge so far has been obtaining insurance to meet European requirements. I've found coverage, but it's expensive - hence the sale of lots of good RV stuff over in the classifieds!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Default North Atlantic

Many years ago, before the HF requirement, I did this via Goose, Narsarssuak, Reykavik. A piece of cake EXCEPT for Greenland. I have no desire or reason to ever go to Greenland again.
Most people thinking about this SEVERELY underestimate the dangers that Greenland presents.
St. Johns to Shannon Ireland Is 1693 nautical. 11.3 hours at 150 knots.
HF radios can be rented for $600 a week. So much better and safer than the far northern route.