What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Sale Advice

R

Rex

I'm getting an RV4 kit and engine ready for sale and need advice concerning the engine.

It's an O-320-D1A still on the original shipping base tagged Dec. 20 1991.

Would a prospective buyer want to see it with a cylinder removed to look inside? It's been inside my house since bought new.

Would a prospective buyer want to see it with a cylinder removed to look inside? It's been inside my house since bought new.

That will most likely depend on the buyer, IMHO.

Was it brand new, or reman? what preservative efforts done by the builder or yourself? These kind of questions will most likely need to be considered.

If I were buying it, I would prefer to have a cyl off, and a local A/P inspect it. Others may feel different..............

Was it brand new, or reman? what preservative efforts done by the builder or yourself? These kind of questions will most likely need to be considered.

If I were buying it, I would prefer to have a cyl off, and a local A/P inspect it. Others may feel different..............

Bought new as package from Van's.
It's as shipped new from Lycoming. I don't know if they do preservation.
Local AP refused to inspect.

Suggest you read Lycoming Service Instruction 1009AW.

From the Service Instruction:

Therefore, all engines that do not accumulate the hourly period of TBO specified in this publication are recommended to be over hauled in the twelfth year.

For me to use the engine, I would need to have a complete tear down and overhaul. With one cylinder off, I would look for rust on the cylinder walls. Inside the crankcase, look at the condition of the cam lobes. Rust on the cam lobes would be BAD. Rust on the cylinders would have me more than likely not use the cylinders. I do not like chrome cylinders so chroming them would NOT be an option for me. The value of the engine to me would be that of a core plus maybe a little because it was never put in use.

Local AP refused to inspect.

I'm not surprised. My seat of the pants view is that it might be hard to see any issues even with a cylinder off. I can understand an A&P not wanting to sign off the engine with an implication as to future life.

23 years is a long time for an engine to be sitting and there is a very good possibility that the engine would run fine - for awhile - but I would be surprised if it would have a long life. Other engines that I've seen in similar circumstances seem to have a life of 400 - 600 hours before needing major work.

If I were selling the engine, I'd probably think in terms of mid-time pricing as best case - as much as a headache as it is - and not pull anything off of it (ie., cylinders).

Dan

Back