- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Default Debris in my fuel tanks

I have no idea what these white flakes are or where they came from! I saw these just when I was about to fill up today. I cancelled my fuel request and will drain the tanks tomorrow and try to fish them out with some kind of long tweezers or thin needle nose pliers. Or any other tools would be good for this? I've seen these long claw-type tools, but don't know what they're called or where to get them...

These things look like paint flakes - the only thing is my plane is not painted white anywhere. The second possibility is they're pieces of teflon, but the only place where I have a *tiny* bit of teflon is around the threads on the fuel drain plugs. But I really don't think it's this either. Any ideas what these things are and how they got in my tanks? They really look like paint flakes.

I've had this plane for over two years and have never seen anything like this. I usually look inside my tanks before I fill up. I installed fuel injection in March. Last month/ about 10 hrs ago I inspected the fuel filter and it was clean. Any ideas??

Here are the photos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AN...MFWp5HkWwL8qy5
Old 06-17-2018, 05:57 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

How old is the plane-----tank slosh may be the answer

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-17-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
How old is the plane-----tank slosh may be the answer
The plane was built in 2006. I thought I was told that sloshing compound was not used in the tanks. But maybe that's not correct...
Old 06-17-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyingyogi View Post
The plane was built in 2006. I thought I was told that sloshing compound was not used in the tanks. But maybe that's not correct...
No longer used, but was used and is covered by a service bulletin. It also looks like slosh to me.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 PM

So if this is slosh, what do I need to do to fix?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:44 PM

Send them to Weeps no More. Expensive but they do an excellent job.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
Send them to Weeps no More. Expensive but they do an excellent job.
+1

It looks like slosh to me as well. I had it in the -10 I bought - Weep no More fixed it and did a great job! No more leaks, nor more slosh, no more white flake So!
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 06-18-2018, 10:37 PM

I just contacted Paul at Weep No More and you're right about it not being cheap. Plus I need to add the cost of shipping from California...

I've been told by two builders at my field (an RV4 and the other RV8) that it might be better just to build new tanks. One guy offered to help me do it. So I might go this route. I'll take that opportunity to add a flop tube and replace a bad sender. Who knows, it might be fun and I'll definitely learn a lot.

In the mean time, the flaking is not that bad. I removed about half a dozen from each tank today. I'll keep a close eye on how it looks in there at every fill-up. But a permanent fix will be in place in a few weeks, whether that be sending them out to WNM or building new tanks.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:33 AM

Exclamation slosh

Brian, I wouldn't fly the airplane with any presence of slosh. Here's a thread on this: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ighlight=slosh
My mechanic did the first tank and said he'd never do that again, so I sent the other to Weep no more, and they did a great job. If you go for the tank rebuild, you may find getting the tanks to fit a little challenging and you might be down from doing your loops longer than you'd want.
Good luck,
Bill
RV-4 slider
Lower AL
Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 AM

Brian,

We had a J3 Cub with an 18 gallon aluminum aux tank in one wing (always fun flying sideways after filling that baby up!). After filling the tank one day, I noticed a white plastic bag floating on the surface in the tank.
“How the heck did that get in there?” Stuck a pair of long pliers into the filler neck and pulled out a 6 inch diameter piece of slosh. Drained fuel, removed tank. Shoved a garden hose in it and preceded to wash hundreds and hundreds of small bits from the tank. It’s like all the slosh decided to release at once. Never even knew slosh was in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyingyogi View Post
The plane was built in 2006.
Anyway, remember the key is not when the aircraft received it’s original A/W Certificate.
Maybe the tanks were done years prior. Our RV6 was started in 1989. Yet,
it’s registered as a 2016 build.

If it is slosh, please be happy that you discovered it while on the ground.
Others have been less fortunate.

All the best,
Lorne