- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Places To Fly...Things to See...Things to Eat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 AM

Default Mo's Fly-in - Ottawa River - 29th Edition

Hi Mark, that RV-6A would have been me! Sorry I missed you, we had to wait for the weather to lift around Sudbury. I think you were just leaving when we arrived.

That was fun, thank you to Mo and all the volunteers that put it on. Hope to see you next year.

Terry
Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 AM

Thumbs up

Nice picture Terry! I had a thought of going but weather was very sketchy on our end. I went local instead and converted a seasoned airline pilot into an experimental believer. I might have a strong formation lead soon if anybody have a nice 7A for sale let me know. We will come as a flight of two to Mo's next event

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Glad you could make it, Terry, and sorry we missed you. Our hold time on ice is limited by the temperature of my wife's feet, so blasting off when we did was fundamental to the "happy wife, happy life" principle.

I think we did indeed just miss you. If I recall there was an RV making an initial call about 10 miles out when we had just leveled off for our 500' tour up the river.

It was certainly interesting to watch some of the airplanes, especially the taildraggers, taxiing sideways in the wind. Much good airmanship was in evidence at this gathering.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Next year, Vlad, we'll be happy to see you and as many wingmen as you can convince to follow you northward. Sorry you couldn't make it this year but we all know winter weather is not to be trifled with.

Speaking of which, I bet Terry experienced a slightly longer return journey as a result of the winds. Recently we've been seeing 25kts or more from the west, even down at 3000'. It's great if you're heading eastbound, but not so hot on the westbound leg!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:28 PM

Default Moís Fly-in - Ottawa River 29th Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Speaking of which, I bet Terry experienced a slightly longer return journey as a result of the winds. Recently we've been seeing 25kts or more from the west, even down at 3000'. It's great if you're heading eastbound, but not so hot on the westbound leg!
Funny you should mention that, Iíve got a story.

So, you learn something every flight. Hereís what I learned yesterday.

I use Fore Flight to file my flight plans, yesterday on the way down we had a 4 knot tailwind. We were 2 hour 25 minutes going down. When I filed to come back Fore Flight used the mornings winds aloft to calculate the time enroute.

So there I was fat, dumb and happy at 10,500, but only seeing a 140 mph ground speed. As a result we weíre 3 hours coming home. When I called London Radio to cancel my flight plan I got a stern lecture on being over due.

Now, this was the same guy I talked to twice for weather. Once south of North Bay and once North of Gore Bay. I was on 126.7 which is also the frequency for London radio for the last portion of the trip. I had it in mind to update my ETA when I called for weather at Gore Bay, but I let it slip. My Bad! 😞

So the take away is that I have to update fore flights weather, before flying a return trip on the same day. Normally Iím within WIFI when lím planning a flight, darn no WIFI at Moís. 😄

If I had thought about it I could have used the hot spot on my phone to update the weather, or Iím thinking Iím going to try one of those Scout ADS-B in receivers. That way I will have on board weather when Iím close to the US border.

Terry