What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil change time

Weasel

Well Known Member
Most of us gear-heads like to work on engines and fiddle around under the hood of things. Time changes things and I dont know if its just me getting old or what! :mad:

I am starting to dread changing the oil. It is a maintenance item that takes quite a bit of my time.

The steps required to preform the process are not hard, in fact they are quite simple.

I have a check list of items that I do or inspect at oil change.

• Remove Cowling
  • Drain Oil
  • Remove oil filter
  • Install new oil filter
  • Cut old oil filter open and inspect
  • Inspect engine for leaks
  • Inspect engine controls
  • Inspect hoses and wiring
  • Inspect engine mount
  • Clean engine
  • Refill oil sump
  • Grease nose wheel pivot
  • Test run engine
  • Check for leaks again
  • Install cowling

Doing this at a normal work pace usually takes me 2-3 hrs.

I fly over 300hrs a year so I find myself doing this every 2 months or so. Is there a way to streamline the process? I use tach time to determine oil change intervals due to flight frequency. Maybe I just don't have enough to do so I get cranky about the small things....:confused:

Here the Oshkosh dust is being wiped off while the oil is draining :D

Wing%20wash.jpg

Last edited:
Does your engine sump have a screen in it as well? If so you should pull it and inspect it. Some say annually, some say every other change and some say never???

f50shy.png

Last edited:
Ahh, yes, Tanya and I did exactly this operation today too. It goes twice as fast with two people that have done it together every couple of months! I'll raise you an air filter change, another alternator (rebuilt test) change, get fuel, and fly some wifferdills :). There is nothing like an oil change often to do a careful inspection. Tanya usually does most of the actual work, while I "inspect" :). It is good to be the one in possession of the repairmen's certificate, although it has made for some heated discussions of "Who's the boss".

Tanya usually does most of the actual work, while I "inspect" :). It is good to be the one in possession of the repairmen's certificate, although it has made for some heated discussions of "Who's the boss".
say......maybe that's the problem.....I should hand the wrench to Sheila?

Last edited:
Does your engine sump have a screen in it as well? If so you should pull it and inspect it. Some say annually, some say every other change and some say never???
I have been doing it at annual....for better or worse

On the one hand, I say, "get a quote for equivalent A&P services to shock you back into reality."

On the other hand, I say, "that Harbor Freight automotive tire mounting device was fun the first sixteen times . . . "

Older? Wiser?

Tough decision, as I get . . . wiser! :)

If you have a quick drain, how about changing the filter and doing all that other stuff every other oil change. I'm not necessarily recommending this, but it would cut the frustration / time commitment almost in half.

The fact that you are flying 300 hours a year puts you well ahead of the pack regarding TBO IMHO.

Most of us gear-heads like to work on engines and fiddle around under the hood of things. Time changes things and I dont know if its just me getting old or what! :mad:

I am starting to dread changing the oil. It is a maintenance item that takes quite a bit of my time.

The steps required to preform the process are not hard, in fact they are quite simple.

I have a check list of items that I do or inspect at oil change.

• Remove Cowling
  • Drain Oil
  • Remove oil filter
  • Install new oil filter
  • Cut old oil filter open and inspect
  • Inspect engine for leaks
  • Inspect engine controls
  • Inspect hoses and wiring
  • Inspect engine mount
  • Clean engine
  • Refill oil sump
  • Grease nose wheel pivot
  • Test run engine
  • Check for leaks again
  • Install cowling

Doing this at a normal work pace usually takes me 2-3 hrs.

I fly over 300hrs a year so I find myself doing this every 2 months or so. Is there a way to streamline the process? I use tach time to determine oil change intervals due to flight frequency. Maybe I just don't have enough to do so I get cranky about the small things....:confused:

Here the Oshkosh dust is being wiped off while the oil is draining :D

Wing%20wash.jpg

You forgot:
*Go Fly! (reparations for all that work)

Problem solved!

Change to using Amsoil. Your oil change intervals will go to 150hrs (3x normal). At the normal 50hr change interval, you only change the filter +1qt of oil. Keep oil to your normal level during this period.

Taking a peek at things will need to be put on a 100hr sched tho.

If you want to go 75hrs, mix 25% Amsoil with your regular brand; the filter changes with the oil in this process.

If you flew 50hrs/year, this would not apply, of course. In that case, change yearly.

If I was flying as much as you are, and the OT ran on the thermostat all the time, I doubt I would change every 50hrs anyway.

Carry on!
Mark
"Not the Boss"

300 hours a year

Sorry this is just whining coming from a guy who gets to fly 300 hours a year.
:D
Wish I had time to go 50 hours a year.

Back